Non vegans are so worried about where we vegans get our protein from. I think every single vegan has answered this question SO MANY times because many people think you need to eat meat, eggs or dairy to get your protein, which is really sad. There are so many plant based sources of protein and they’re much healthier than animal foods. Besides, excess animal protein may cause cancer and many other diseases.
The China Study is one of my favorite books, I think everyone should read it at least once because is the most comprehensive study of nutrition and is a life-changing book. Protein deficiency is pretty unusual and if you get enough calories to live and follow a healthy plant based diet (read our post what do vegans eat? to learn more), you’re going to get enough protein as well.
Have you ever heard about the blue zones? It’s a term used to describe parts of the world where people live the longest and they usually follow a high carb, low protein, low fat diet. If you’re interested in this topic, you should read The China Study, Whole and The Blue Zones.
If you’re still worried about protein or you need to consume more protein because you’re an athlete, this vegan shake is the bomb. It’s so delicious, homemade and you don’t need to add supplements or any protein powder to make it, just whole plant based foods you can get at your supermarket.
We’re celebrating our fourth birthday on our Spanish blog and as the World Book Day is so close, we have two surprises for you guys. We’ve created an ebook bundle with our two ebooks Simple Vegan Smoothies and Simple Vegan Meals, that way you purchase one ebook and get the second one half price. Besides, we’re offering a 50% off ebook sale, so you can buy each ebook for 4.5€ (about $4.84) and the bundle for just 6.75€ (about $7.26) until next Friday. Have a nice weekend!
- Feel free to use any plant milk you want. I used soy milk because is so high in protein.
- I like chia seeds because they have a neutral taste, but use any seeds you like (hemp seeds are a great choice).
- Carob powder can be used instead of the cocoa powder. You can also omit this ingredient.
- If you want your smoothie even more nutritious, add one or two handfuls of spinach, which is high in protein as well.
- 1 cup soy milk (250 ml)
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp oats (optional)
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.