Simple tofu scramble, a vegan alternative to scrambled eggs. It’s so easy to make, high in protein and only requires 4 ingredients!
The food I missed the most after going vegan were eggs, but this simple tofu scramble helped me a lot and satisfied my cravings. We make it all the time because is a basic recipe, is ready in less than 15 minutes and only requires 4 ingredients: tofu, turmeric powder, salt and ground black pepper.
Besides, you can add any ingredient you want as you would do with an egg scramble, like seasonal veggies or even some meat alternatives, like vegan sausage or shrimp. We don’t consume processed foods on a daily basis, but they can be really helpful if you’re new to this lifestyle or if you miss the taste of some products and only eat them once in a while.
There are other ways to make a vegan scramble, for example, using chickpea flour or canned or cooked chickpeas, but this recipe is my go to because of its simplicity, and if you add some Kala Namak salt, it tastes like scrambled eggs, I promise. We’ve fooled so many non-vegans with this scramble. In addition, it’s healthier, lower in fat and cholesterol-free, so it’s a win-win!
looking for more breakfast recipes?
- Vegan Spanish tofu scramble with potatoes and chorizo
- Tofu scramble toasts
- Vegan breakfast burritos
- Easy chickpea scramble
- Vegan breakfast tacos
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 8 ounces firm tofu (225 g)
- 1/4 tsp salt, see notes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, see notes
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Chop the tofu and use a fork to crumble it into bite-sized pieces.
- Add some oil to a frying pan and when it’s hot, add the tofu and all the remaining ingredients (salt, turmeric powder and ground black pepper). Stir until well combined and cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Serve immediately (I served my tofu scramble over some toasted bread and topped it with fresh parsley) or keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Any type of salt is okay, but I prefer to use Kala Namak salt (also known as Himalayan black salt) because it tastes like real eggs.
- If you’re not a turmeric lover or you’re not used to its flavor, add only 1/8 tsp of turmeric powder, then try the scramble and add more if needed.
- Add your favorite spices, veggies or ingredients.
- If you’re oil-free, just use some water or vegetable stock instead.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 80
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 248 mg
- Fat: 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.1 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 9.3 g