I’m so excited because when summer is gone I make lots of soups, stews and hot beverages and I love them so much! Chocolate has always been my favorite hot drink and my mother and my grandmother made it every weekend and also for special occasions. They used cow milk and a store bought chocolate bar to make this drink. It was so thick and sweet, but it wasn’t healthy at all because of the cow milk and also because the bar was full of refined ingredients like white sugar.
I prefer to make my own hot chocolate at home, it’s not as thick, but you can add some cornstarch or any starch powder to make it thicker if you want. In addition, this chocolate is made with healthy, natural ingredients and tastes great.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (250 ml)*
- 2 tbsp agave syrup**
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder***
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and cook over high heat until it’s hot, but don’t bring it to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir until well combined.
- We used a milk frother to make some bubbles.
- Add some cornstarch or any other starch powder if you prefer a thicker chocolate.
- Serve the chocolate and add your favorite toppings. We added some cocoa powder and also a cinnamon stick.
* Feel free to use any plant milk. If you use some sweetened plant milk, try the chocolate before adding the sweetener and add it gently if needed.
** Or any other natural sweetener.
*** Raw cacao or carob powder also works, but you’ll probably need to add more or less.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!