Vanilla extract is one of the most important ingredients in sweet recipes, we love it and we use it in many of our recipes. We always have vanilla extract in our kitchen and we prefer to make it at home because it’s cheaper and healthier.
Homemade vanilla extract is so much better than store bought, because you can choose the best ingredients and you make sure there’s no imitation flavors and chemicals in your extract.
This recipe is incredibly easy and simple, you’re only gonna need two ingredients: vanilla beans and alcohol. We use vodka because it has the most neutral flavor, but you can use bourbon, rum or brandy.
You need to be patient because you have to let the vanilla beans infuse for at least one month, but we recommend waiting three months for a stronger flavor. At this point the vanilla beans can be removed if you like. You can strain them out using a coffee filter or other strainer.
Once you’ve tasted homemade vanilla extract, you’ll never go back to store bought. You’re gonna love the intoxicating aroma of vanilla!
- 1 cup vodka (250 milliliters)
- 6 vanilla beans
- Split each vanilla bean in half lengthwise.
- Put the vanilla beans in a glass bottle or jar and cover with vodka, making sure they are completely submerged.
- Close bottle or jar and store in a dark, cool place. Give the bottle a good shake every once in a while. The vanilla extract will keep indefinitely at room temperature.
- You need to be patient because you have to let the vanilla beans infuse for at least one month, but I recommend waiting three months for a stronger flavor.
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters)
- Calories: 37
- Sugar: 0.2 g
- Sodium: 0.3 mg
- Carbohydrates: 0.2 g