Here in Spain many people make almost the same salad, using almost the same ingredients: Iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, olives and one or two veggies more at most. I used to make this salad every single day and now I understand why I didn't like salads. There are so many ingredients available, so why do we use the same ingredients over and over again? I try to use seasonal produce and make colorful salads every day.
This was the first time I made this recipe and I loved it! I made my own dressing, but it's common to use vegan mayonnaise or a simple vinaigrette. Some people add pineapple too, although I thought I couldn't spiralize it, that's why I didn't add it.
Although to make coleslaw you just need to chop the veggies and make the dressing, I thought I could use my Spiralizer instead of a knife and it's awesome! The veggies are chopped much faster and the Spiralizer is so easy to use. If you don't have one, don't worry, just use a knife and a cutting board.
You can see how I "spiralized" the veggies in the pictures below:
If you're going to use the Spiralizer:
- Medium heads of cabbage are easier to spiralize than the big ones.
- Big carrots work better.
- You don't have to core the apples, although you should remove the stems.
- Apples turn brown so fast, so you can add lemon juice to prevent oxidation or just spiralize them just before serving.
- To spiralize the cabbages I used the blade that has no triangular blades.
- To spiralize the carrots and the apples you can use any other blade (I used the blade that has the smaller triangular blades).
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
To make this vegan coleslaw I spiralized the veggies instead of chop them and I'm so happy! Spiralize veggies are so easy and the salad tasted so good!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad, Side dish
- Cuisine: Vegan, Dutch
- ¼ head green cabbage
- ¼ head red cabbage
- 2 large carrots
- 2 green apples
For the dressing:
- 8 tbsp tahini (raw)
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp water
- Spiralize all your veggies or chopped them finely with a knife.
- To make the dressing you just need to mix all the ingredients in a bowl or jar.
- Place the spiralized or chopped veggies in a big bowl, add the dressing and stir.
Keywords: vegan coleslaw, healthy coleslaw, healthy slaw recipe
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram (or any other social network).