Since I become vegan, I tried different whipped cream alternatives and I found the perfect recipe! I live in Spain, so it’s really hard to find good quality coconut milk here, that’s why I couldn’t make this amazing recipe before. I was using store bought soy whipped cream or coconut cream, but this coconut whipped cream is much healthier than the store bought soy whipped cream because it’s made with only 2 ingredients (coconut milk and a sweetener) and it tastes better than the coconut cream and has the perfect texture.
To make this recipe you need full fat coconut milk. I read in other blogs that you need to use coconut milk that doesn’t have guar gum listed on the ingredient list, but I couldn’t find milk without guar gum and it worked.
You can use your favorite sweetener. I used powdered sugar to make the whipped cream, but I also made the recipe using agave and maple syrup and they also worked. If you use other sweeteners, you’ll probably need to add more less, so I recommend you add the sweetener gently and try the whipped cream.
This is the best whipped cream I’ve ever tried and the recipe is super easy to make and also inexpensive. If you give this coconut whipped cream a try, please leave a comment or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram or Twitter.
- 1–14 oz or 400 ml can full fat coconut milk
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar, agave or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Chill the coconut milk can in the fridge overnight.
- Place a large mixing bowl and the beaters in the fridge 15 minutes before whipping.
- Remove the can from the fridge without tipping or shaking it. Open the can. There will be a firm and thick white layer of coconut cream on top. Scoop the coconut cream into your chilled mixing bowl. Reserve the coconut water that has settled to the bottom of the can to make smoothies. You can also use it in baking and cooking.
- Whip the cream until fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, agave or maple syrup or your favorite sweetener and the vanilla extract and whip again for at least 1 or 2 minutes. This step is optional.
- Use immediately or keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 weeks. It will harden in the fridge. If the whipped cream becomes too firm, whip again before serving.
- Feel free to use other sweeteners, but probably you’ll need to add more or less.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 11.9g
- Sodium: 12mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 14.4g
- Protein: 1g