Vegan heavy cream, creamy, soft, and perfect to add to plenty of sweet and savory recipes. Only 5 minutes and 2 ingredients required!
I absolutely love vegan heavy cream. It is such a simple yet versatile ingredient, as you can use it to make lots of different dishes! You can add it to your soups, desserts, or even sauces.
What I love the most about it is that it is actually made with only 2 simple ingredients: cashews and water. So rest assured that this vegan alternative to heavy cream is completely free from additives and preservatives.
How to make vegan heavy cream
- Soak the cashews overnight the night before or in hot water for 30 minutes before you start making the heavy cream.
- Drain and rinse the cashews, put them into a powerful blender along with the ¾ cup of water and blend until smooth.
- Use your vegan heavy cream immediately.
Ingredients and tips
- Raw unsalted cashews: it’s important to use raw unsalted cashews to make this heavy cream substitute.
- Water: I used water at room temperature.
What is heavy cream?
If you're wondering what is heavy cream, it is a high-fat thick cream made out of milk. As it comes from dairy, it contains cholesterol and about 35-40% fat content.
However, this heavy cream substitute is cholesterol-free, extremely easy to make, and you can use it just like regular heavy cream. Besides, it has the perfect consistency!
What is heavy cream for?
Feel free to use this heavy cream with recipes like red lentil soup, pumpkin soup, vegan cream of mushroom soup, or even vegan curry.
Feel free to add it to all the recipes that call for heavy cream!
Is heavy cream the same as heavy whipping cream?
Both heavy cream and heavy whipping cream are made out of dairy, but they are almost the same thing. The main difference is that (regular) heavy cream has a higher percentage of fat, while it is lower in heavy whipping cream.
Looking for more how-to recipes?
Did you make this vegan heavy cream?
Please leave a comment below, share it, or rate it. You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I’d love to see what you cook!
This post contains affiliate links so you can easily find some of the products that we used to make this recipe. If you buy any of them through the links provided (without any extra cost for you), we'll get a commission. We're so grateful for your support!
Vegan Heavy Cream
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- ¾ cup water
- Soak the cashews overnight the night before. You can also soak them in hot water for 30 minutes before you start making the vegan heavy cream, but it’ll have a better texture if you soak them all night long.
- Drain and rinse the cashews, put them into a powerful blender along with ¾ cup of water (180 ml), and blend until smooth. Add more water if needed.
- Use your vegan heavy cream immediately for any recipe that calls for heavy cream, such as red lentil soup, pumpkin soup, vegan cream of mushroom soup, or even vegan curry.
- Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- It’s important to use raw unsalted cashews to make this heavy cream substitute.
- I used water at room temperature.
- Prep time doesn’t include the time you need to soak the cashews.
Hi, can this be used for desserts as well or doesn't it have that type of flavor?
Iosune Robles says
Hi! Feel free to use it for your desserts 🙂