Learn how to cook tofu in a lot of different ways. From baked tofu to fried tofu and tofu scramble, it'll become a staple in your diet!
Tofu is one of the most convenient ingredients when it comes to vegan cuisine. It is affordable, easy to find, and high in good-quality vegan protein! However, I know it can be hard to learn how to cook tofu, especially because it has such a neutral flavor and sometimes we don't know what to do with it.
So I decided to make this guide so that you never get out of ideas when it comes to this wonderful ingredient. You'll learn how to cook tofu scramble, marinated tofu, air fryer tofu, baked tofu, and fried tofu, among others!
But let's start from the beginning:
What is tofu?
Tofu has its origins in China and comes from coagulated soy milk. Once the milk is coagulated, the curds are pressed into a block, which is called tofu.
Are there different types of tofu?
Yes, there are 3 main types of tofu:
- Silken tofu: it is a creamier type of tofu, soft and less consistent than the other ones.
- Firm tofu: it is the most used tofu because it is easily found at most grocery stores. It is one of the most versatile types of tofu and the one I use the most.
- Extra-firm tofu: although it is almost the same as firm tofu, it is a bit thicker and not as good to absorb marinades or seasonings.
So now that we're clear on what is tofu, let's see some of my most used ways to cook it:
How To Make Tofu Scramble
Tofu scramble is a wonderful substitute for scrambled eggs. Healthy, flavorful, and delicious, this traditional and easy breakfast is completely cruelty-free and ready in 15 minutes with only 4 ingredients!
- Chop the tofu and use a fork to crumble it into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the tofu and all the remaining ingredients. Stir and cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve your tofu scramble immediately for breakfast over some vegan bread toasts with tempeh bacon.
How To Make Marinated Tofu
Marinated tofu is one of the most common ways of cooking tofu, especially if you're new to this ingredient. It is actually very easy and it only requires 8 ingredients and 30 minutes.
- Mix all the tofu marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl until well combined. Add the tofu cubes and let them marinate, covered in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Drain the tofu but don’t discard the liquid. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet, and sautée the tofu over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Add the marinade liquid to a bowl along with the cornstarch and mix until well combined. Pour the sauce into the frying pan and cook until it thickens.
- Serve your marinated tofu immediately over some rice and a kelp noodle salad as a side.
How To Make Air Fryer Tofu
Air fryer tofu is one of my favorite ways of cooking tofu. It is SO easy since you just need to cut it into cubes, coat it with some ingredients, and let the air fryer do its thing! It'll be ready in just 30 minutes with only 4 ingredients.
- Cut the tofu into cubes.
- Place the tofu cubes into a mixing bowl and add all the remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined and let the tofu marinate for at least 15 minutes, preferably overnight.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Transfer the tofu cubes to the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, shaking the pan a couple of times to promote even cooking.
- Serve your air fryer tofu immediately with your vegan butternut squash soup and some vegan scalloped potatoes.
How To Make Baked Tofu
I absolutely love how crispy this baked tofu is! It's tasty and easy to prepare, as well as ready with just 5 common ingredients. The perfect side dish!
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Add the tofu cubes, tamari or soy sauce, oil, and garlic powder to a large bowl, mix until well combined and let it rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Drain the tofu and transfer ⅓ of the tofu cubes into a freezer bag with 1 or 2 tbsp of cornstarch and toss to coat. Repeat this step with the remaining tofu and cornstarch.
- Place the tofu cubes onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Then remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip each of the tofu cubes. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy your baked tofu immediately and serve with dishes like veggie stir fry and breakfast potatoes.
How To Make Fried Tofu
Fried tofu is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, as well as super flavorful and satisfying. To make it you just need 20 minutes and 6 ingredients. I promise it's very easy!
- Add the tofu cubes, tamari or soy sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper to a large bowl, mix until well combined, and let it rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Drain the tofu and transfer ⅓ of the tofu cubes into a freezer bag with 1 or 2 tablespoon of cornstarch and toss to coat. Repeat this step with the remaining tofu and cornstarch.
- Once the tofu cubes are coated with the cornstarch, heat the oil in a skillet and add the tofu cubes.
- Cook the tofu cubes over medium-high heat until all sides are golden brown. Remove the tofu from the skillet and set aside.
- Serve your fried tofu immediately along with vegetable tempura and vegetable soup.