Vegan sour cream, made with just 5 ingredients in less than 5 minutes. It’s tangy and so creamy, perfect to enjoy with Mexican-inspired dishes.
vegan sour cream
I usually make my own food, and vegan sour cream is not the exception. It’s more inexpensive, I use high-quality ingredients and also avoid preservatives and other nasty additives.
However, the best part of making your food at home is that you can add adjust the ingredients to your taste and preferences, while you’re saving money and sometimes even time because you don’t have to go to the supermarket.
This recipe is extremely simple and everybody can prepare it. You only need 5 easy-to-get ingredients (all of them are pantry staples I always have on hand) and less than 5 minutes.
Classic sour cream is a dairy product obtained by fermenting regular cream with certain kinds of lactic acid bacteria. To make this version I used cashews instead and it’s not fermented to get a simple and quick recipe.
You can use this vegan sour cream as the classic version. Serve it with Mexican-style food or any other food that calls for sour cream. It’s so delicious I could eat it with pretty much everything and also with a spoon.
In addition, this version is much lower in fat than the traditional sour cream as it’s dairy-free and made with cashews, a super healthy source of fat.
vegan sour cream ingredients
- Raw and unsalted cashews – It’s important to use raw cashews because the toasted ones have a stronger flavor. I also prefer to use unsalted cashews and add the amount of salt I want, but it’s up to you.
- Water – You could also use some plant-based milk instead, but water just works great for me.
- Lemon juice – Fresh juice is better. Store-bought is also okay if it’s made with simple ingredients.
- Nutritional yeast – This ingredient is optional, but if you have some nutritional yeast on hand, use it! It will make your sour cream tastier.
- Salt – I always use Himalayan pink salt, any type of salt is okay though.
tips to make vegan sour cream
- I haven’t used other nuts to make this recipe myself, but I think cashews are the best choice, as they have a neutral flavor and they makes super creamy sauces.
- Feel free to use vinegar instead of the lemon juice. Apple cider vinegar is a great option.
- You really need to use a powerful blender to get a smooth and creamy texture. However, if you soak the cashews longer (8-12 hours), your sour cream will have a better texture.
- Some people add some probiotics to get a cultured sour cream, but I prefer this version because it’s simpler, quicker and more inexpensive.
looking for more sauce recipes?
did you make this vegan sour cream recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 1 cup cashews (150 g), raw and unsalted
- 1/2 cup water (125 ml)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Soak the cashews overnight. If you’re in a hurry, soak them in hot water for at least 1 hour.
- Drain the cashews, discard the water, add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately or keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 37
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 24 mg
- Fat: 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 1.2 g