Cabbage soup, a tasty and easy way to include more vegetables into your diet. It’s low in calories, but extremely flavorful.
Cabbage soup is extremely delicious and easy to make at home. The ingredients you need are available at any supermarket, so it’s really convenient.
If you can’t find the Italian seasoning, just omit it, make your own or use any other dried herb instead, like oregano or basil.
I’m in love with this soup because is pretty basic, and you can add or omit any ingredients you want: veggies, dried or fresh herbs, spices, etc. You could also add some carbs, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice or noodles.
The soup will be tastier if you use stock instead of water, but both are okay. However, water is lower in sodium and also cheaper.
I prefer to make my own vegetable stock at home, as I can control the amount of sodium. Store-bought is okay too, though.
Please feel free to use more or less stock or water, depending on how thick you want your cabbage soup. You can also change the recipe, just use what you have in your kitchen.
cabbage soup ingredients
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this cabbage soup recipe:
- Extra virgin olive oil – If you don’t eat oil, just use some liquid instead (like water or stock). I’m Spanish, so I use extra virgin olive oil to cook most of my dishes. However, any type of oil is okay. I always use extra virgin oils when possible because they’re healthier.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic is best, but garlic powder will do.
- Onion – I prefer to use fresh onion, but onion powder is also okay.
- Red bell pepper.
- Italian seasoning – This ingredient is optional, so you can omit it or use any other dried herb instead (oregano and basil are amazing).
- Salt – I always use Himalayan pink salt. Any type of salt is okay, though.
- Ground black pepper – Fresh ground black pepper tastes amazing. However, I find store-bought more convenient and also easier to measure with a teaspoon.
- Bay leaves.
- Vegetable stock or water – Your soup will be tastier if you use stock, but water is also okay and lower in sodium.
- Crushed tomatoes – Feel free to use any type of canned tomatoes. Fresh tomatoes will do, but you’ll maybe need to add more stock or water.
how to make cabbage soup
- Cook the garlic, celery and onion in a large pot with some oil, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Use some water or stock if you’re oil-free.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Then simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and serve immediately or keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
looking for more soup recipes?
did you make this cabbage soup recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 celery strip, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound cabbage (450 g), chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water (1 liter)
- 1 14-ounce can of crushed tomatoes (400 g)
- Heat the oil in a large pot and add the garlic, celery and onion. Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. If you don’t eat oil, just use some water or vegetable stock instead.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately (I added some chopped, fresh parsley on top) or keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- Nutritional info has been calculated by using water, instead of vegetable stock.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 72
- Sugar: 3.7 g
- Sodium: 307 mg
- Fat: 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 2.4 g