Vegan chicken noodle soup, a plant-based version of this comforting dish. It’s healthy, nutritious, satisfying, full of flavor and ready in just 30 minutes!
vegan chicken noodle soup
I ate chicken soup almost every day when I was a child, it was one of my favorite foods in the entire world, and I hadn’t eaten it for years (since I went vegan), until I made this recipe for the first time.
Chicken noodle soup is super popular, warm and comforting, so when I saw a picture of the classic recipe on Pinterest, I knew I had to make a vegan version, and here it is.
I’m the kind of person that has soup all year long, even in summer, but it’s even better the rest of the year, especially when it’s really cold outside. It’s also great if you’re sick, because it will make you feel better.
This recipe is so versatile. You can use vegetable or vegan chicken stock (if you can find it in your area), vegan chicken pieces or any other source of plant-based protein (seitan and chickpeas are my favorite alternatives), the type of noodles or veggies you have on hand, or the ingredients you like, and it’s always delicious.
vegan chicken noodle soup ingredients
- Extra virgin olive oil – I’m Spanish, so I use extra virgin olive oil to cook most of my dishes. However, any type of oil is okay. I always use extra virgin oils when possible because they’re healthier, but it’s up to you. If you don’t eat oil, just add some vegetable stock or water instead.
- Onion – I used white onion, but any type of onion will do, even onion powder (fresh onion works best though).
- Garlic – Fresh garlic works best, but garlic powder is also a good choice.
- Vegan chicken pieces – Any brand is okay (gluten-free if needed). You could also use other sources of plant-based protein like seitan, tempeh, tofu or even legumes (chickpeas work great in this recipe).
- Salt – I always use Himalayan pink salt, but any type of salt is okay.
- Ground black pepper – Fresh ground black pepper tastes best. However, I find store-bought ground black pepper more convenient and also easier to measure with a teaspoon.
- Poultry seasoning – I make my own poultry seasoning, but store bought is great.
- Bay leaves – If you don’t have or like them, just omit this ingredient. Your soup will be tastier if you use it, but it’s not necessary.
- Vegetable stock – Homemade is best, but store-bought is also a good choice. If you want to make your soup taste even better, use vegan chicken broth instead (I didn’t use it because I can’t find it in my area).
- Vegan noodles – Use gluten-free if needed. I used brown rice fusilli because I had it on hand.
tips to make vegan chicken noodle soup
- Try to make your own vegetable stock at home, it’s so easy, more affordable and made with simple ingredients and the amount of sodium you want.
- I also prefer to make my own poultry seasoning, but it’s up to you.
- Add more or less vegetable stock if you want. You can also add more or less veggies, vegan chicken or pasta.
- Feel free to add other veggies, spices, herbs (fresh or dried), or any ingredients you want, just add more vegetable stock if needed.
looking for more soup recipes?
did you make this vegan chicken noodle soup recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 9 oz vegan chicken pieces, gluten-free if needed (255 g), see notes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups vegetable stock (1 liter)
- 4 oz vegan noodles, gluten-free if needed (115 g), I used brown rice fusilli
- Heat the oil in a large pot. If you don’t eat oil, use some extra vegetable stock or some water instead.
- Add the veggies (carrot, celery, onion and garlic) and the vegan chicken pieces and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the pasta), stir and bring to a boil. Then add the pasta and cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.
- Remove from the heat, discard the basil leaves and serve immediately. I added some chopped fresh parsley on top, but it’s optional.
- Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- Beyond Meat Grilled Chicken Strips are a good choice, but feel free to use the brand you have on hand. You’ll find more alternatives above the recipe box (just read the “vegan chicken noodle soup ingredients” section).
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 235.6
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 589.8 mg
- Fat: 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 14.4 g