I prefer to make my own food, it’s cheaper, healthier and tastes better because I can use my favorite ingredients. I don’t eat vegan substitutes very often because they’re not healthy and they’re also really expensive in my country. Searching for the perfect vegan bacon recipe I found many amazing recipes, some people use coconut or even eggplant to make facon (or fake bacon), but I thought the tempeh bacon probably taste better and it’s really delicious.
Although this is not the healthiest food in the world, at least, is much healthier than regular bacon and also has less fat and is cholesterol-free.
I used store bought tempeh, but if you make your own tempeh, good for you! I rarely buy tempeh, actually this was the second time I used it. The first time I made these awesome vegan tempeh meatballs. If you have a good homemade tempeh recipe, please share it in the comments!
This vegan tempeh is really easy to make, you just have to slice the tempeh, mix the marinade ingredients, soak the tempeh slices in the marinade for 1 or 2 minutes and fry them, that’s all! You can also bake it if you want.
The best oils for frying are those that can be heated to high temperatures before burning. I usually use extra virgin olive oil, but coconut oil is also great. Please avoid refined oils, they’re bad for your health.
To make the marinade you need: soy sauce or tamari, extra virgin olive oil (or other non refined oil), agave syrup (or any other liquid sweetener), red hot sauce, liquid smoke or smoke powder, ground cumin and black pepper.
You can use any hot sauce you like (Tabasco is great) or even you can add cayenne powder. I know the liquid smoke or smoke powder is not a healthy ingredient, but it’s necessary to get the real bacon taste. If you can’t find it, use barbecue sauce instead (you’ll probably need to add more).
There are so many recipes you can make with the tempeh bacon, but I used it to make the beautiful vegan Cobb salad you can see in the picture below, I’ll share the recipe soon!
This tempeh bacon is not the healthiest food in the world, but is much healthier than regular bacon and also has less fat and is cholesterol-free.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 5 oz tempeh (140 g)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for the marinade + extra virgin olive oil to taste for frying the bacon
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- ½ tsp red hot sauce
- 2 tsp smoke flavoring
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- Slice the tempeh as thin as you can without it falling apart.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients (except the salt) in a bowl. Soak the tempeh slices in the marinade for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a saute pan and when it’s hot, add the tempeh and cook for 1 or 2 minutes each side over high heat until both sides are browned and crisp.
- Lay cooked tempeh on paper towel to cool. Add salt to taste.
Recipe adapted from Healthy Happy Life