My mother used to make mashed potatoes using some potato powder, milk and butter and it was really common here in my country. As this is a super easy to make recipe, it’s better to make it at home and it’s totally worth it because tastes much better, is cheaper and a super healthy side dish.
This is not a popular recipe in Spain during the holidays, but I don’t know why because is the perfect side and so simple. I’m going to make it this year and I’m sure everybody will enjoy it.
To make vegan mashed potatoes are really simple and oh my god, they’re so creamy and tasty! I’ve just made a simple version using extra virgin olive oil and some soy milk. Sometimes I also add some onion or garlic powder and nutritional yeast to get a cheesy an intense flavor.
- Feel free to use any kind of potatoes you like and also other ingredients like spices, herbs or veggies.
- You can use some vegetable broth or water instead of the milk.
- To make an oil-free version of this recipe, use tahini or some nut butter instead of the oil or add some liquid like milk, water or broth.
- We used soy milk, but any unsweetened plant milk is fine.
Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish and is also so simple. This vegan recipe is so creamy and delicious. You need to try it!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 2 pounds potatoes (1 kg)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant milk of your choice (190 ml)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped chives (optional)
- Peel and chop the potatoes into chunks.
- Steam them for 15 to 20 minutes or until they’re soft. Feel free to boil them if you want.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan.
- Place the potato chunks in a big mixing bowl and mash them. I usually use an immersion blender, but feel free to use a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the chives) and mash again.
- Add more pepper and the chopped chives on top (optional).
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 252.5mg
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 39.6g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 4.6g