Simple vegan meatloaf, which is also gluten-free and made with easy to find ingredients. A delicious plant-based version of a classic recipe.
Here’s another Thanksgiving recipe! I’ve never been a meatloaf-lover myself, but I do love this plant-based version. The classic recipe is made with ground meat, bread, along with spices. We’ve used legumes instead of meat and nutritional yeast instead of bread to make a gluten-free recipe.
This meatloaf is adapted from our veggie burgers, which are the best plant-based burgers we’ve ever tried. You can find the recipe in our Simple Vegan Meals ebook. I don’t know which recipe I like the most, the burgers or the meatloaf because both are AMAZING.
I prefer to use a lined 9×5 inch (23×13 cm) loaf pan to make this meatloaf, but any other rectangular pan will do. If you don’t have any, feel free to use your hands and a lined baking sheet, it’s up to you!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Simple Vegan Meatloaf
Simple Vegan Meatloaf – Simple vegan meatloaf, which is also gluten-free and made with easy to find ingredients. A delicious plant-based version of a classic recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8-10
For the meatloaf:
- 1 cup canned or cooked chickpeas (170 g), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned or cooked kidney beans (170 g), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup ground flaxseed (120 g)
- 1 cup nutritional yeast (70 g)
- 1/2 cup tahini (120 g)
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce (65 ml)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant milk of your choice (65 ml), we used soy milk
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup ketchup (150 g)
- 2 tbsp cane, coconut or brown sugar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF or 180ºC.
- Add the chickpeas and beans to a mixing bowl and mash them with a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients of the meatloaf and mix until well combined. You can also blend all the ingredients in a food processor.
- Press mixture firmly in a lined 9×5-inch (23×13 cm) loaf pan. Feel free to place the mixture onto a lined baking sheet and form it into a loaf pan with your hands.
- To make the glaze just mix all the ingredients until well combined.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the glaze.
- Spread the glaze evenly over top and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the vegan meatloaf to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing it from the loaf pan.
- Keep it in a sealed container in the fridge for about 5 days.
- Tahini can be replaced by any nut butter or even oil.
- Sea salt can be used instead of the tamari or soy sauce. Add more milk if needed.
- Serving Size: 1/10 of the recipe
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 558 mg
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.3 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 11.1 g