9-ingredient simple vegan stuffing. A plant-based version of this classic recipe, that is so healthy and low in fat. It’s a must-have Thanksgiving side dish!
Whether you call it stuffing or dressing, this recipe is a must in every Thanksgiving table. We know it’s also used as a turkey-filler, but as we’re vegans, we prefer to serve it as a side dish, it’s much healthier and no turkey has to suffer.
As I’m from Spain, I haven’t eaten stuffing as a child and when I saw it for the first time, I thought it was not a beautiful dish, but OH MY GOD, it’s tastes so good! My mother makes a dish every single Christmas that is also made with day-old bread and vegetable stock, but she also adds sugar, cinnamon powder and grounded almonds, it sounds weird, but it’s so delicious. It reminds me a little bit of this recipe, although I know it’s not exactly the same.
Feel free to add other veggies, dried or fresh herbs, dried fruits or nuts to your stuffing, or use any other type of bread you have on hand. It will be delicious as well!
If you like our vegan simple vegan stuffing, check out these holiday recipes: vegan mashed potatoes, simple vegan gravy, simple vegan meatloaf, baked onion strings (vegan and gluten-free) and vegan green bean casserole (gluten-free).
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 1/2 day-old large loaf whole wheat bread or 2 day-old small whole wheat baguettes, cubed (5 cups, 7.5 oz or 210 g)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cups vegetable stock (375 ml)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Cube the bread, place the bread cubes onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Sauté the onion and celery in a skillet over medium-high heat for 5 to 10 minutes. We used vegetable stock, but you can also use water, oil or vegan butter.
- Add the bread cubes, onion, celery, herbs, salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add the vegetable stock and mix again.
- Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
- Keep the vegan stuffing in a sealed container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
- This dish goes well with our simple vegan gravy and vegan mashed potatoes.
- Feel free to add other veggies, fresh or dried herbs, dried fruits or nuts to the stuffing.
- Use any other type of bread you have on hand.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 147
- Sugar: 4.5 g
- Sodium: 584 mg
- Fat: 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.3 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 7.2 g