It's impossible to find coconut yogurt here in Spain, so when I went to London I tried it and although it tasted good, it was too thick and greasy for me, so I've made my own recipe.
We've shared 3 plant based yogurt recipes: soy yogurt, cashew yogurt and a raw vegan coconut yogurt. The first one is not a simple recipe and cashews and young coconuts are expensive are hard to find in some places, so that's why I love this recipe so much, it's so easy to make and more affordable. Besides, it requires only 2 ingredients: a full fat can of coconut milk and 3 probiotic supplements, that's all!
You can see some pictures of the process below:
- The chilled can of coconut milk.
- The firm and thick white layer of coconut cream you can find on top.
- The yogurt before adding the probiotics.
- Me adding them.
- The final product, which is a super creamy and delicious vegan yogurt.
We buy our probiotic supplements from iHerb and they’re vegan. We love iHerb because we can buy some products that are hard to find here in Spain and they're also quite inexpensive. If you’re going to buy for the first time, use our coupon code: JWT081 and save 5 or 10$ on your first order (they’ll give us a little discount on our next order).
- To make this recipe you need a full fat can of coconut milk. You can't use any other type of coconut milk.
- Look for brands that only use water and coconut. Avoid preservatives and additives. It's not necessary, but your yogurt will be healthier.
- This yogurt is high in fat, so I prefer to eat it in moderation. I usually have 1 or 2 tablespoons with some fruit, granola, muesli or even I use it to make my salad dressings. If you want to eat a whole bowl or jar of this yogurt, do it occasionally.
2-Ingredient Coconut Yogurt
This is my all time favorite homemade vegan yogurt. Only 2 ingredients required! It's a super quick and easy recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2-8 1x
- Category: Gluten Free, Breakfast, Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan, Raw
- 1 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk (400 ml)
- 3 probiotic supplements, see notes
- 2 tsp agave or maple syrup (optional)
- Chill the coconut milk can in the fridge overnight.
- Remove the can from the fridge. Open it. There will be a firm and thick white layer of coconut cream on top. Scoop the coconut cream into a bowl.
- Add the coconut water that has settled to the bottom of the can gently and stir with a fork until you get the consistency you're looking for. I added 4 tablespoons of coconut water, but you may want to add more or less, depending on your taste or the brand you're using.
- If you want a perfect and smooth consistency, you should blend the yogurt, but it's up you. I blended mine to make this yogurt, but I don't blend it on a daily basis, I just mix it with a fork.
- Add the 3 probiotic supplements (you only need the probiotic powder, so empty the capsules). Mix well.
- Cover with a cheesecloth or a napkin (pretty much any piece of cloth will do) and let it sit in a dark, cool room for at least 12 hours. If you leave it ferment longer, it will be more acidic.
- Add a sweetener of your choice and stir. This step is optional.
- When the yogurt is ready, keep it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
* If you can't find the probiotic supplements, add 3 tablespoon of any store-bought coconut or plant based yogurt. Use this yogurt next time.
Keywords: coconut yogurt, coconut milk yogurt, vegan coconut yogurt