30-minute vegan bolognese sauce made with textured soy protein. It’s high in protein and low in fat, tastes like the classic recipe, but is much healthier.
I tried textured soy protein for the first time when I was living in Germany and I didn’t like it. I tried it several times after and I didn’t like it either. Last fall, I read a post about how to cook it properly and I’m in love with this amazing food since then.
Textured soy protein is like tofu, if you don’t know how to cook it to make it taste good, you’re not going to like it. Cooking TSP is so easy, just sautée it in a frying pan with some extra virgin olive oil (optional), add tamari or soy sauce (sea salt is also okay), your favorite spices and herbs, some vegetable stock or water and cook until it’s completely rehydrated. I love it because of its taste, but also because is so easy to make and convenient.
Our lentil bolognese is so delicious and also an amazing recipe, but I prefer this bolognese sauce because it tastes like the classic one. Besides, carnivores will love it, I promise!
I usually serve this sauce with spaghetti, but it’s also great to make stuffed eggplant (recipe coming soon!) or any other recipe that calls for bolognese sauce. In addition, it’s so tasty you can eat it just by itself!
LOOKING FOR MORE SOY RECIPES?
- Buffalo tofu wings
- Vegan tempeh meatballs
- Vegan Spanish beef stew
- General Tso’s tofu
- Simple vegan stroganoff
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 cups textured soy protein (150 g)
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine (125 ml)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (4 tbsp)
- 3 cups vegetable stock or water (750 ml)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat some extra virgin olive oil, vegetable stock or water in a frying pan and add the veggies (onion, celery and carrot). Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the textured soy protein (dry, don’t rehydrate it) and the tamari or soy sauce, stir and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the wine and cook another couple of minutes.
- Mix the tomato paste and vegetable stock in a mixing bowl until well combined. Then add this mixture to the frying pan with the rest of the ingredients (oregano, salt and pepper), stir and cook over medium-high heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- We served our vegan bolognese sauce with some spaghetti (10 ounces or 300 g, uncooked) and vegan parmesan cheese.
- Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Feel free to add any veggies, herbs or spices you have on hand.
- Tamari or soy sauce can be replaced by salt and red wine by more vegetable stock or water.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe without the pasta and the cheese
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 4.3 g
- Sodium: 992 mg
- Fat: 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.4 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 35.5 g