This homemade Cajun seasoning recipe is made with just 8 easy-to-get ingredients you probably already have on hand, and it takes only 2 minutes!
I’ve been obsessed with Cajun seasoning lately, it’s one of my favorite spice blends, and I love adding it to almost everything because it makes any bland food taste like heaven! Great on vegan burgers, pasta, potatoes, veggies, and more!
It’s really convenient to make your own spice mixtures at home, especially because they’re usually more affordable and also because you may need them and don’t have any at hand, so don’t worry, just grab your measuring spoons and make a quick batch in just a few minutes!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Paprika: I used sweet paprika, but any type is okay, like smoked or hot. Be careful if you use hot paprika because this blend is already spicy.
- Garlic powder: you could use onion powder instead if you don’t like garlic powder or you don’t have any on hand.
- Onion powder: same as above, use garlic powder instead if you want, although I would use both if I were you to get the perfect flavor.
- Salt: I used iodized salt, but any salt will do.
- Ground black pepper: fresh ground black pepper tastes amazing. However, I find store-bought more convenient and also easier to measure with a spoon.
- Cayenne powder: omit this ingredient if you’re not into spicy food and feel free to add more or less depending on how spicy you like it.
- Dried oregano: any other dried herb will do if you don’t have oregano at hand, like basil or thyme.
- Dried thyme: same as above, use any other dried herb, like basil or oregano. It won’t be the classic recipe, but it will taste amazing.
How to make Cajun seasoning
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Store in an airtight container in a dark, cool place for up to 1 year.
What is Cajun seasoning?
It’s a delicious spice blend originally from Louisiana, the home of delicious Cajun cuisine.
It consists of a blend of salt with a variety of spices, the most common being cayenne pepper and garlic. No two people make it exactly the same, so you’ll find so many variations out there.
Looking for more how-to recipes?
Did you make this Cajun seasoning recipe?Print
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp cayenne powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- I used sweet paprika, but any type is okay, like smoked or hot.
- If you don’t have garlic powder on hand, you can use more onion powder. Same if you don’t have onion powder, feel free to use more garlic powder instead.
- I used iodized salt, but any salt will do.
- Omit the cayenne pepper if you’re not into spicy food and feel free to add more or less depending on how spicy you like it.
- If you don’t have dried oregano or thyme on hand, just add any dried herb instead. It won’t be the classic recipe, but it will taste amazing.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 16
- Sugar: 0.8 g
- Sodium: 1165 mg
- Fat: 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.4 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 0.7 g