Today I wanna show you a delicious alternative to traditional yogurt. It’s much healthier, is full of probiotics (good bacteria for your gut) and is also cruelty-free, yay!!! The only bad thing about this recipe is that young coconuts may be expensive in some countries or areas, but if you can afford them, you need to tray this yogurt, if not, you can make it once in a while as I do or take a look at the soy yogurt recipe I shared, it’s so good!
Yogurt is made with milk, probiotics and some thickener. The bad thing about many store-bought yogurts is that they’re really processed, so they don’t have as many bacterias as they could and the heat can destroy part of the nutrients, that’s why I love this recipe because is raw and homemade.
To make this yogurt you don’t need to use a thermometer, a yogurt maker or an over, you just need young coconuts and probiotics, nothing else.
Probiotics have changed and improved my life. As I told you in another post, I used to love dairy products, I ate milk, cheese and yogurt every single day, but since I’m vegan, I don’t eat non-dairy yogurt very often because I don’t usually have desserts and I prefer to eat other things for breakfast or as a snack.
I love to read health books or blogs, and many of them speak about the importance of probiotics to be healthy and heal some illness or diseases (you should read Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ by Giulia Enders) and I decided to give them a try.
Since I take probiotics my bowel movements, digestion and skin have improved and I feel better. You can find them in fermented foods like yogurt, kimchi or sauerkraut (I’d love to share some recipes on the blog soon), or you just can take a supplement as I do.
This yogurt tastes amazing and you can add granola, fresh or dried fruits, nuts, seeds or even make some savory recipes like the yogurt sauce I will share with you next Friday.
*I buy my probiotic supplements from iHerb and they’re vegan. I love iHerb because I can buy some products it’s hard to find here in Spain and they are also so affordable. If you’re going to buy for the first time, you can use my coupon code: JWT081, you can save 5 or 10$ on your first order and they’ll give a little discount on my next order.
- To open the coconuts use a big knife. Place the coconut in a flat and firm surface like a table or a kitchen countertop and make 4 cuts forming a square, as you can see in the picture above. Keep your hands away from the coconut.
- If you don’t have probiotics, you can make the yogurt anyway, although it won’t be the same, it will taste different and it won’t have good bacteria.
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
Simple Vegan Coconut Yogurt
Simple vegan coconut yogurt. You just need 2 ingredients to make this recipe: young coconuts and probiotics. It’s the healthiest yogurt ever!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 1
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert, Snack
- Cuisine: Vegan, Raw Vegan
- 3/4 cup young coconut meat (175 g)
- 2 tbsp coconut water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 probiotic supplements
- Once the coconut is open (read the tips I shared with you above), pour the coconut water in a jar and set aside. We’re gonna need only 2 tablespoons, so you can drink the rest, it’s really delicious and healthy.
- Scoop the meat out of the coconut using a spoon. Clean the meat and take out any brown things.
- Place the meat, coconut water and lemon juice in the blender and blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add more coconut water. It has to have a yogurt consistency.
- Place the yogurt in a bowl, add the 2 probiotic supplements (we need probiotic powder, so empty the capsules). Mix well.
- Cover with a cheesecloth and let it sit in a dark, cool room for at least 12 hours. Then you can enjoy the yogurt or keeping it in the fridge until it’s cold.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram (or any other social network).