Sweet potato hash, a delicious, healthy and super easy to make breakfast or side dish recipe that only requires 8 ingredients and one skillet.
sweet potato hash
This sweet potato hash recipe is just perfect for a simple, but super nutritions breakfast or side dish. I could also eat it as a main because I love it SO much.
You don’t need to peel the sweet potatoes, but please feel free to peel them if you want. However, I think the recipe works best with unpeeled sweet potatoes.
Any type of sweet potatoes will do and even regular potatoes. I only find orange sweet potatoes here in Spain, that’s why I only use them to make sweet potato recipes on the blog.
I didn’t eat sweet potatoes growing up, but I’m a huge sweet potato lover now. I’ve been including them in my diet since I went vegan. Purple sweet potatoes are my favorite ones, I tried them in Bali last year and they’re out of this world!
I like to keep things pretty simple, so I only use 8 simple ingredients to make sweet potato hash, but please add any veggies (celery, carrots, leeks), herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary) and spices (paprika, cumin, turmeric) you have on hand, it will be delicious as well.
sweet potato hash ingredients
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this sweet potato hash recipe:
- Extra virgin olive oil – I’m Spanish, so I use extra virgin olive oil to cook most of my dishes. However, any type of oil is okay. I always use extra virgin oils when possible because they’re healthier. If you don’t eat oil, just use some water or vegetable stock instead. I’ve never tried it myself, but I think it should work.
- Sweet potatoes – You don’t have to peel the sweet potatoes, but you can peel them if you want. You could also make this recipe using other types of sweet potatoes or even regular potatoes.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic works best, but garlic powder is a good alternative.
- Red onion – Any other type of onion will do, even onion powder.
- Red bell pepper.
- Green bell pepper.
- Salt – I always use Himalayan pink salt. Any type of salt is okay, though.
- Ground black pepper – Fresh ground black pepper tastes amazing. However, I find store-bought more convenient and also easier to measure with a teaspoon.
how to make sweet potato hash
- Add the oil to a skillet and when it’s hot, add the sweet potato cubes. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, stir and cook uncovered until tender and golden brown (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- Serve immediately or keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
looking for more sweet potato recipes?
- Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
- Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas
did you make this sweet potato hash recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 1–2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (450 g), cubed
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a skillet, add the sweet potato cubes, cover with a lid and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. You don’t have to peel the sweet potatoes, but it’s up to you.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, stir and cook uncovered over medium-high heat for about 10 to 15 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
- Serve immediately (I added some chopped fresh parsley on top) or keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Nutritional info has been calculated by using 1 tbsp of oil.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 142
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 297 mg
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.9 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 1.7 g