Pasta is one of my favorite foods in the whole word. It's comfort food and really easy to make, so I make pasta at least once every week. Alberto and I ate at an Italian restaurant a few weeks ago and there weren't so many vegan alternatives, but we ordered spaghetti all'arrabiata and a pizza with no cheese and lots of veggies, the food was amazing! I haven't eaten this pasta in a really long time and I knew I needed to make it at home and here it is the recipe for you guys, you need to try it, it's so simple, but tastes like heaven.
- We used buckwheat pasta, but you can use any other type.
- Feel free to use any other dried or fresh herb instead of the oregano.
- The dried tomatoes and the tomato paste are optional ingredients.
- If you use fresh tomatoes and the sauce is too thick, add some water.
- 7 oz pasta of your choice
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 12 rehydrated dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 28- ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Vegan Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the cayenne powder, garlic, dried tomatoes and oregano. Cook until the garlic starts to brown. You can use store-bought rehydrated dried tomatoes or you can rehydrate them leaving them in a bowl with some warm water until they're soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and sea salt. Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir.
- Serve with some vegan Parmesan cheese and some chopped fresh parsley on top (optional).
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Nagarajan J Udupa (CHA) says
You don't seem to know the basic, Vegan means not just vegetarian but also non animal products.
Hi! I do because I'm a vegan myself 🙂 That's why I use vegan Parmesan cheese, not regular cheese. Have a nice day!
Hi Tina! Thanks a lot for your comment 🙂
I cooked this dish the other day and it was sooo good. The only mistake I made was I put too much sun dried tomatoes (oil free) so it was a tiny bit salty but still so good. I also used green lentil pasta so its GF. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Daisy! You're so welcome 🙂 So glad you liked it!
Are rehydrated dried tomatoes the same thing as sun dried tomatoes?
Hi Kristina! Yes, they are 🙂
Anita Lee says
Delicious and simple
Hi Anita! Thanks a lot 🙂