Brown sugar glaze, made with just 3 ingredients, in less than 5 minutes. It can be used to drizzle over cakes, breads, pastries, or any dessert.
brown sugar glaze
Sugar glaze is a delicious way to make your sweets or desserts look and taste even better and is incredibly easy to make! It just required 3 ingredients and 5 minutes.
Classic sugar glaze is usually made with confectioners, icing or powdered sugar, whole milk and vanilla extract, but there are other recipes that also call for eggs or even butter.
I like to keep things simple and also make healthier alternatives for you guys, that’s why I’ve only used 3 ingredients. This glaze is not something you want to eat every single day, but I prefer to use brown sugar and any plant milk, instead of white sugar and whole milk.
You can add this brown sugar glaze on top of any dessert, but I used it to top a delicious vegan bread pudding (recipe coming soon!). It also goes really well with cakes, donuts, muffins, scones, cookies, or pretty much anything that is sweet.
Making your own powdered sugar at home is really simple, you just need a powerful blender and brown sugar (any other type of sugar will do), and is ready in just 30 seconds.
brown sugar glaze ingredients
- Brown sugar – Feel free to use other types of sugar, like cane, coconut, maple or date sugar. I’ve never tried this recipe using other sweeteners, like maple or agave syrup, but if you give it a try and it works, please let us know.
- Unsweetened plant milk – Any type of unsweetened plant-based milk is okay, but soy milk is my favorite one. Water and other liquids like orange or lemon juice, coffee, apple cider or even liquor works great as well.
- Vanilla extract – This ingredient is optional, but if you have some vanilla extract on hand, please use it because it will make your sugar glaze taste even better.
- There are so many ingredients you can use to flavor your sugar glaze: coffee, liquor, fruit juices or zests (orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit), spices (like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice), apple cider, etc.
tips to make brown sugar glaze
- I used my Vitamix blender to make the powdered brown sugar, but any powerful blender is okay. Store-bought powdered sugar is also a good choice, but I prefer to make it at home with unrefined sugar.
- Try to make your own plant milk and vanilla extract at home. They’re more affordable, so easy to make and taste really good.
- Add more or less liquid, depending on how thick or thin you prefer your sugar glaze.
looking for more how-to recipes?
- Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Homemade Chocolate Syrup
- How To Make Coconut Butter
- How To Make a Flax Egg
- How To Make Oat Milk
did you make this brown sugar glaze recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- Add the sugar to a blender and blend until you get a powdered texture.
- Add the sugar to a bowl, among with the milk and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined. If the glaze is too thick, add more milk and if it’s too thin, add more powdered brown sugar.
- Use the glaze as a classic sugar glaze for topping desserts like bread pudding, donuts, banana bread, etc. Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 30
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 2 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.5 g
- Protein: 0.1 g