I didn’t eat mayonnaise very often when I wasn’t vegan because it’s not a healthy food and is also full of fat. Although vegan mayonnaise is healthier and cholesterol-free, it’s not a healthy food either, so I eat it occasionally.
You only need 4 ingredients to make this recipe: oil, plant based milk, apple cider vinegar and sea salt, that’s all! It’s ready in 2 minutes and tastes even better than traditional mayonnaise. It’s also healthier than store bought vegan mayonnaise, which are full of preservatives and additives (at least the vegan mayonnaises I found here in Spain).
You can make it thicker adding more oil or more watery adding more milk, it’s totally up to you!
I always use soy milk to make vegan mayonnaise because it has a similar consistency to cow’s milk, which it’s also used to make mayonnaise, instead of using eggs. I prefer to use non refined sunflower oil, but you can use other types of oils. I also tried to make this recipe using extra virgin olive oil and it works too, but it has a strong flavor, that’s why I prefer to use sunflower oil. You can use lemon juice instead of the apple cider vinegar.
I always use an immersion blender to make mayonnaise. You just need to combine all the ingredients in the blender cup, place the immersion blender in so that it sits firmly on the bottom of the cup and pulse until the mayonnaise emulsify. Once most of the vegan mayonnaise has emulsified, you can move the blender up and down to incorporate any oil that is sitting on the top. You can use vegan mayonnaise as traditional mayonnaise and as it’s egg-free it lasts longer.
Do you like this vegan mayo? Check out our oil-free vegan aioli recipe. You only need 5 ingredients and a regular blender to make it. It’s delicious, creamy, oil-free and ready in less than 5 minutes.
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram or on your favorite social network.
Vegan mayonnaise is healthier and also cholesterol-free. You only need 4 ingredients to make it and it’s ready in just 2 minutes!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 2 cups
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1 cup unrefined sunflower oil (220 g)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk (120 g)*
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- I always use an immersion blender to make mayonnaise.
- Combine all the ingredients in the blender cup, place the immersion blender in so that it sits firmly on the bottom of the cup and pulse until the mayonnaise emulsify. Once most of the vegan mayonnaise has emulsified, you can move the blender up and down to incorporate any oil that is sitting on the top.
- Try the mayonnaise and add more salt if needed. If it’s too thick, add more milk and if is too watery add more oil. Pulse again until the mayonnaise has the perfect consistency.
* I used almond milk and it worked as well.
** If the milk and the oil are at the same temperature, the mayonnaise is easier to make.