Vegan pumpkin cake, made with natural ingredients and topped with vegan cashew frosting. It's also gluten-free and the perfect dessert for fall!
It's pumpkin season, so we've been cooking lots of pumpkin recipes lately, especially sweets and this vegan pumpkin cake is one of our favorite ones because is to die for.
It's so delicious I'm sure you're going to love it even if you're not a pumpkin fan. Besides, it's gluten-free, low in fat and made with simple, natural ingredients.
Please feel free to use others flours or sweeteners, but keep in mind you'll maybe need to add more or less amount (just take a look at our batter picture to get a similar consistency).
We're in love with our vegan cashew frosting and we use it all the time to make healthy desserts that call for a frosting, like cakes or cupcakes. Healthy baking is possible and also really tasty!
If you prefer to make a simpler version of this recipe, just don't add any topping, it will be delicious as well and the cake will last longer. Feel free to add any nuts, seeds or ingredients for topping your cake or even some extra pumpkin pie spice instead of the ground cinnamon.
looking for more cake recipes?
- Vegan carrot cake
- Vegan lemon cake
- Vegan chocolate orange cake
- Vegan gluten-free chocolate cake (10 minutes)
- Vegan gluten-free lemon blueberry cake (10 minutes)
did you make this vegan pumpkin cake recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Vegan Pumpkin Cake (Gluten Free)
For the vegan pumpkin cake:
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ¾ cup oat flour, gluten-free if needed
- ½ cup brown, coconut or cane sugar
- 1 and ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- Vegan cashew frosting
- Chopped walnuts
- Extra ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl (brown rice flour, oat flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice).
- Add the liquid ingredients to the mixing bowl (flax eggs, vinegar, coconut milk and pumpkin puree) and mix until well combined.
- Grease the cake pan with some oil (we love coconut oil for baking). If you use a non-stick pan, omit this step. We usually place a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of the cake pan to avoid using oil. We used a 9 inch or 22 cm round cake pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it rest in the pan until completely cool.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. We added some vegan cashew frosting, chopped walnuts and extra ground cinnamon.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge (covered) for 3-4 days.
- Feel free to use store-bought oat flour or just blend some rolled or instant oats in a blender until they are ground into a powder-like consistency.
- Use any other type of flour or sweetener you want, although maybe you’ll need to add more or less (take a look at the picture of our batter).
- Use any kind of vinegar you have on hand or even some lemon juice.
- As this is an oil-free recipe, we recommend you to use coconut milk or at least a plant milk with a high-fat content.
- If you can't find pumpkin pie spice in your area and don't want to make it at home either, just omit this ingredient, try the batter and add more ground cinnamon if needed.
- Nutritional info doesn't include the toppings.
I loved this recipe, but I cannot get a good rise. The cake came out pretty flat both times I made it. I got new baking soda and I have fresh vinegar. Any suggestions?
Hi Felisa! Add more baking soda next time 🙂
How much cashew frosting did you use on this cake? Thank you 🙂
Hi Teele! About half of the recipe, I can't remeber exactly, sorry!