Delicious and creamy, vegan penne alla vodka, a simple pasta recipe, made with 9 ingredients. Skip the restaurant and make a plant-based version at home.
Who doesn’t love pasta? It’s one of my favorite foods in the entire world, so I’m always dreaming about coming back to Italy to enjoy its amazing cuisine.
I never get tired of trying new pasta recipes, we actually share a recipe every month on the blog. There are so many pasta recipes out there I feel like I don’t have enough time to try them all and I’ve never made a single one I haven’t enjoyed.
We don’t drink alcohol or use it to cook very often, but sometimes we do. This pasta can be made without the vodka and is also so good, but it makes the sauce taste even better, so if you don’t mind to add some vodka, go for it!
Classic penne alla vodka is made with cream, but we’ve used cashew cream instead, which is made just blending cashews with water, easy peasy! It’s a healthy choice and you can make it at home. I’ve also seen other versions that add garlic, sausages, bacon or even peas and others use butter to cook the onion. Our version is pretty simple and I think it’s just perfect. Hope you enjoy it!
looking for more pasta recipes?
- Vegan mushroom pasta
- Pasta e fagioli (pasta and beans)
- Vegan pasta carbonara
- Pasta primavera
- Pasta arrabiata
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 1/4 cup cashews (40 g), raw and unsalted
- 1/4 cup water (65 ml)
- 8 ounces pasta (225 g), we used buckwheat penne
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/8 tsp cayenne flakes
- 2 tbsp vodka
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes, tomato puree or tomato sauce (250 ml)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Add the cashews and the water to a blender and blend until smooth. To get a smoother consistency, it’s better to soak the cashews overnight or in hot water for at least one hour, although it’s optional. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In the meanwhile, cook the onion and cayenne flakes over medium-high heat in a skillet with some water or oil until the onion starts to golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vodka and cook over high heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until is reduced by half. Stir frequently.
- Add the tomatoes, cashew cream, salt and pepper, stir and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, add the pasta, stir and serve immediately. We topped our pasta with some vegan parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil.
- Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- Use any type of pasta you like (gluten-free if needed).
- Vodka is optional, so you can omit it or use any other alcoholic drink.
- Add your favorite veggies, spices and herbs.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 297
- Sugar: 7.2 g
- Sodium: 418 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.4 g
- Fiber: 5.3 g
- Protein: 10.2 g