Roasted broccoli, a tasty and healthy side dish, made with just 6 simple ingredients: broccoli, garlic, oil, lemon juice, salt and ground black pepper.
If you don't like broccoli, it's probably because you don't know how to cook it properly. I've been there, and trust me, if you find a good recipe, you're going to love it!
Overcooked broccoli doesn't taste or smell good and hasn't a good texture either, especially if it has been boiled or steamed.
There are so many ways to eat broccoli: boiled, steamed, raw, roasted, fried, etc. I prefer crispy broccoli so this recipe is my favorite one, and it's made with ingredients I love, like extra virgin olive oil and garlic.
You don't have to use the same ingredients, just add any spices or herbs you have on hand. Lemon juice can be replaced by more extra virgin olive oil (or any other oil you have on hand) or balsamic vinegar. Roasted broccoli is also delicious with garlic and onion powder, but don't add fresh garlic and garlic powder.
Some recipes add some cheese on top before or after roasting the broccoli. I prefer to keep things simple, but it's up to you. I'm obsessed with my vegan parmesan cheese, but any type of cheese will do.
If you like your food spicy, then add some red pepper flakes on top or some spicy sauce like sriracha, your broccoli will taste amazing.
roasted broccoli ingredients
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this roasted broccoli recipe:
- Garlic - You can omit this ingredient or use some garlic or even onion powder instead.
- Extra virgin olive oil – I’m Spanish, so I use extra virgin olive oil to cook most of my dishes. However, any type of oil is okay. I always use extra virgin oils when possible because they’re healthier. If you don’t eat oil, just add more lemon juice or any other liquid, like balsamic vinegar.
- Lemon juice - I prefer to use freshly squeezed lemon juice, but store-bought is also okay. If you don't want to add lemon juice, just omit this ingredient, add more oil or other liquid, like balsamic vinegar.
- Salt - I always use Himalayan pink salt. Any type of salt is okay, though.
- Ground black pepper - Fresh ground black pepper tastes amazing. However, I find store-bought more convenient and also easier to measure with a teaspoon.
how to make roasted broccoli
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately or keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
looking for more side dish recipes?
did you make this roasted broccoli recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and mix until well combined. You can also mix the ingredients in the baking sheet, but I prefer to use a bowl.
- Transfer to a baking sheet (lined or not, it's up to you) and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately or keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.