Vegan caramel sauce, made with 3 ingredients in less than 5 minutes. This magic sauce is perfect for topping on ice cream, apple slices or any dessert.
Vegan Caramel Sauce
This vegan caramel sauce is life-changing, seriously. Besides, it’s much healthier than the traditional version and super easy to make (it requires less than 5 minutes!).
Classic caramel sauce is basically made with refined sugar and cream, so it’s not plant-based. This one is made with almond butter, coconut oil and maple syrup. I’ve also added vanilla extract and a pinch of salt, but they’re totally optional.
I shared an oil-free vegan caramel sauce on the blog and although it’s extremely delicious, this new version is more similar to the original recipe and even simpler. In addition, it tastes so good I could eat it with a spoon straight from the jar.
Don’t be afraid to use this sauce to make any recipe that calls for caramel sauce. I made vegan apple pie taquitos and they were spectacular and actually one of the best sweet recipes I’ve ever tried and made.
I prefer to enjoy this sauce with fresh fruit as a snack on a daily basis, especially with apple slices, since caramel and apple make a perfect match and apples are in season.
vegan caramel sauce ingredients
- Almond butter – I’ve only made this recipe using almond butter, but I think it could also work using other nut butters like peanut butter or even with coconut butter. Just add more or less until you get the perfect consistency.
- Maple syrup – Any other liquid sweetener like agave or coconut sugar will do, but I think maple syrup is the best choice as it has a caramel-like taste.
- Coconut oil – I haven’t made this recipe using other type of oil myself and I also think coconut oil is the best option, but as long as your oil has a neutral flavor, it should work. I always use extra virgin oils when possible because they’re healthier, but it’s up to you. If you don’t consume oil, try our oil-free vegan caramel sauce (it’s made with full-fat coconut milk, almond butter and dates).
- Vanilla extract – This ingredient is optional, but if you have some vanilla extract on hand, please use it because it will make your caramel sauce taste even better.
- Salt – I always use Himalayan pink salt, but any type of salt is okay.
tips to make vegan caramel sauce
- Try to make your own almond butter and vanilla extract. They’re more affordable, so easy to make and taste amazing.
- If the temperature is above 76ºF or 24ºC, the coconut oil will be liquid, but heat it in a saucepan with the maple syrup anyways, that way the almond butter will melt into this mixture and your sauce will have a smoother texture.
- Feel free to add some ground cinnamon to taste as well.
looking for more sauce recipes?
- Vegan Caramel Sauce (Oil-free)
- Vegan Hollandaise Sauce
- Healthy Barbecue Sauce
- How To Make Peanut Sauce
- Homemade Applesauce
did you make this vegan caramel sauce recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!Print
- Heat the maple syrup and coconut oil in a saucepan (or in a bowl in the microwave) for 30-60 seconds or until the coconut oil is melted.
- Add the mixture to a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients (almond butter, vanilla extract and salt). Stir until well combined. Depending on how thick is your almond butter, you’ll need to add more or less, so add 2 tbsp first, stir and add more gently until you get the perfect consistency.
- Enjoy this caramel sauce hot, cold, with apple slices or just use it to make any recipe that calls for caramel sauce.
- Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
- Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 48
- Sugar: 4.7 g
- Sodium: 16 mg
- Fat: 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.4 g
- Protein: 0.1 g