I’m trying to share more every day easy recipes with you and this Mexican-style tomato soup is perfect if you want a healthy, warm, comforting meal and just have 15 or 20 minutes to cook.
It’s made with ingredients I always have in my kitchen: garlic (I’m Spanish so I LOVE garlic so much!), onion, cilantro (or any other fresh or dried herb you’ve got handy), extra virgin olive oil, coconut milk (another plant milk will work too or even vegetable broth or water), tomatoes (canned or fresh), Piquillo peppers (they’re typical Spanish, but you can use roasted red peppers as well), red chili pepper (optional), salt and black pepper. Feel free to add other veggies or spices.
You don’t need special equipment to make this soup, just a large pot and a blender. Although it’s ready in 15 or 20 minutes, you can cook it longer over medium heat and it will be more tasty, but you’ll probably need to add more liquid.
As I love chunky soups, I usually add tortilla chips, chopped raw veggies, lime or lemon juice and sometimes I also add thinly sliced tofu (I heat some extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and cook the tofu until golden brown on both sides), so delicious!
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red chili pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- A handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 10-ounce can Piquillo peppers or roasted red peppers (290 g)
- 2 14-ounce cans chopped tomatoes (800 g)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ cup coconut milk (125 ml)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Serve with lime, tortilla chips and chopped veggies (I added red chili pepper, cilantro, cherry tomatoes and red onion)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the red chili pepper, garlic and onion (chopped) and cook for two minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for about 10 or 15 minutes. Add some water or more coconut milk if you want.
- Blend the soup in a blender and serve with lime, tortilla chips and chopped veggies.
- Recipe adapted from Jamie’s Mexican tomato soup.
- Toppings are not included in nutritional information.
- Serving Size: 1/5 of the recipe
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 8.8g
- Sodium: 151mg
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated Fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrates: 14.2g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Protein: 3g
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!