Tabbouleh is a Lebanese salad, traditionally made of tomatoes, bulgur, onion, mint and parsley, seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice and salt. I prefer to use quinoa instead of bulgur because is gluten free and I love it so much! You can also use whole-wheat couscous or brown rice if you can’t find quinoa or bulgur or if they’re too expensive in your country. White rice and regular couscous also work, but I prefer to eat whole grains because they’re healthier and more nutritious.
To cook the quinoa you just need to boil 2 cups of water (500 ml) in a saucepan, add 1 cup of quinoa (170 g) and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. You can add other ingredients (dried herbs, sea salt, tamari or soy sauce, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar) to the boiling water to get a more intense flavor.
This recipe is super simple and you need only 6 ingredients to make it: quinoa, tomatoes, spring onion (white or red onion are okay), mint, parsley and lemon juice. Feel free to add extra virgin olive oil, but I only add lemon juice and the salad tastes amazing.
If you don’t like mint or parsley, add cilantro, lettuce, spinach, kale or any other leafy green.
Once the quinoa is cooked, let it cool at room temperature, or add cold water. The quinoa has to be completely cool before making the salad, this is really important.
This recipe is perfect to eat on the go, but if you can, add the lemon juice and the extra virgin olive oil just before eating, the salad will taste better.
It’s really easy to eat healthy, there’s no excuse! You need to take care of your body, you will be much healthier and feel better. This quinoa tabbouleh is ready in 20 minutes and is the perfect meal. If you make this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram or any other social network.
- 1 cup quinoa (170 g)
- 2 cups water (500 g)
- ½ cup chopped spring onion (50 g)
- 1⅓ cup chopped tomatoes (240 g)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mint (26 g)
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley (30 g)
- The juice of a lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste (optional)
- Rinse the quinoa with cool water.
- Boil the water in a saucepan, add the quinoa and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. You can add other ingredients (dried herbs, sea salt, tamari or soy sauce, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar) to the boiling water to get a more intense flavor.
- Let the quinoa cool at room temperature, or add cold water. It has to be completely cool before making the salad.
- In a large bowl, place the quinoa and the rest of the ingredients. Add the lemon juice and the extra virgin olive oil (optional) and stir.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 412
- Sugar: 9.9g
- Sodium: 58mg
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 74.5g
- Fiber: 14.3g
- Protein: 17.5g