I love Mexican food so much, so I've wanted to make this recipe for a long time. This is a healthier and vegan version and I'm so happy because is super simple, you just need to cook the beans for a few minutes, drain them, add your favorite spices and blend. It's not like the traditional recipe, but is still delicious and also fat-free.
You can use it to make all kinds of Mexican recipes like burritos, tacos, burrito bowls, taquitos or whatever. It's super tasty, even though it's fat-free, but you can add some tahini or any healthy fat if you want. I know it's not a beautiful dish, but I promise you it tastes amazing.
- You can also cook the beans from scratch, but I can't tell the amount of dried beans you need to get 15 ounces or 400 grams of cooked beans.
- I prefer to use pinto beans, but use any other type of beans you want.
- Spices are optional, feel free to add your favorite ones.
- If you don't have an immersion blender, use a potato masher, a fork or even a regular blender (but don't over blend).
Fat Free Vegan Refried Beans
You need to give this refried beans recipe a try. It's a healthier, vegan, fat-free version, but it's super tasty and so easy to make.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- Category: Sides Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan, Mexican
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans (400 g), drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne powder
- Cook the beans in a saucepan with some water (the water must cover the beans) for a few minutes until they're hot.
- Drain the beans and place them in a mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients and blend with an immersion blender. You can also use a potato masher.
- Store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: ½ of the recipe
- Calories: 183
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 573.1 mg
- Fat: 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.8 g
- Fiber: 10.1 g
- Protein: 10.2 g
Keywords: vegan refried beans, how to make refried beans