I love Mexican food so much, so I've wanted to make this recipe for a long time. This is a healthier and vegan version and I'm so happy because is super simple, you just need to cook the beans for a few minutes, drain them, add your favorite spices and blend. It's not like the traditional recipe, but is still delicious and also fat-free.
You can use it to make all kinds of Mexican recipes like burritos, tacos, burrito bowls, taquitos or whatever. It's super tasty, even though it's fat-free, but you can add some tahini or any healthy fat if you want. I know it's not a beautiful dish, but I promise you it tastes amazing.
- You can also cook the beans from scratch, but I can't tell the amount of dried beans you need to get 15 ounces or 400 grams of cooked beans.
- I prefer to use pinto beans, but use any other type of beans you want.
- Spices are optional, feel free to add your favorite ones.
- If you don't have an immersion blender, use a potato masher, a fork or even a regular blender (but don't over blend).
Fat Free Vegan Refried Beans
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
- Cook the beans in a saucepan with some water (the water must cover the beans) for a few minutes until they're hot.
- Drain the beans and place them in a mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients and blend with an immersion blender. You can also use a potato masher.
- Store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 4 days.