We were in Barcelona last weekend and we discovered an amazing Indian restaurant called Veg World India. It’s not a vegan restaurant, but 90% of the dishes were vegan and all of them tasted SO GOOD, it’s actually one of the best restaurants I’ve ever been to, seriously.
I adore Indian cuisine and as we ate at Veg World Indian twice in just a weekend, I was craving more Indian food last Monday, so I decided to make a lentil curry because our vegan lentil curry is one of the most popular recipes on the blog. If you like it, you really need to give this recipe a try, because is a new and improved lentil curry and tastes even better!
We love to eat lentils with rice because is a super satisfying meal and also because we love our carbs! Brown rice is a healthy option, but you can use any type of rice you want or even other grains like quinoa, millet or buckwheat.
- If you soak the lentils and the brown rice they will be more nutritious, easier to digest and also will cook faster.
- Feel free to use canned lentils or any other dry or canned legume.
- I love coconut oil, but any other non refined oil is okay. Use some water if you prefer an oil-free recipe.
- You can use any other unsweetened plant milk instead of the coconut milk.
- 1 cup dry lentils (200 g)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (200 g)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 onion
- 1/2-inch piece of ginger root (about 1 cm)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 15-ounce or 425 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 14-ounce or 400 ml coconut milk can
- 2 tbsp brown or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas (120 g)
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Cook the lentils and rice according to package directions. I don’t add any salt.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the garlic, onion and ginger (finely chopped) with the cayenne powder over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, sugar, turmeric powder, curry powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper, stir and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the lentils and add them into the skillet. Add also the frozen peas and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with the brown rice and add some chopped fresh cilantro on top (optional).
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 550
- Sugar: 11.7g
- Sodium: 645.1mg
- Fat: 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 85.3g
- Fiber: 11.3g
- Protein: 19.6g
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!