We were in Barcelona last weekend and we discovered an amazing Indian restaurant called Veg World India. It’s not a vegan restaurant, but 90% of the dishes were vegan and all of them tasted SO GOOD, it’s actually one of the best restaurants I’ve ever been to, seriously.
I adore Indian cuisine and as we ate at Veg World Indian twice in just a weekend, I was craving more Indian food last Monday, so I decided to make a lentil curry because our vegan lentil curry is one of the most popular recipes on the blog. If you like it, you really need to give this recipe a try, because is a new and improved lentil curry and tastes even better!
We love to eat lentils with rice because is a super satisfying meal and also because we love our carbs! Brown rice is a healthy option, but you can use any type of rice you want or even other grains like quinoa, millet or buckwheat.
- If you soak the lentils and the brown rice they will be more nutritious, easier to digest and also will cook faster.
- Feel free to use canned lentils or any other dry or canned legume.
- I love coconut oil, but any other non refined oil is okay. Use some water if you prefer an oil-free recipe.
- You can use any other unsweetened plant milk instead of the coconut milk.
Easy Lentil Curry
Our vegan lentil curry is one of the most popular recipes on the blog. You really need to give this recipe a try, because it tastes even better!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 cup dry lentils (200 g)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (200 g)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 onion
- 1/2-inch piece of ginger root (about 1 cm)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 15-ounce or 425 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 14-ounce or 400 ml coconut milk can
- 2 tbsp brown or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas (120 g)
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Cook the lentils and rice according to package directions. I don’t add any salt.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the garlic, onion and ginger (finely chopped) with the cayenne powder over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, sugar, turmeric powder, curry powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper, stir and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the lentils and add them into the skillet. Add also the frozen peas and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with the brown rice and add some chopped fresh cilantro on top (optional).
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 550
- Sugar: 11.7g
- Sodium: 645.1mg
- Fat: 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 85.3g
- Fiber: 11.3g
- Protein: 19.6g
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!