Black bean soup, a healthy, hearty, satisfying and comforting meal or side dish. It's ready in 30 minutes and extremely easy to make.
black bean soup
Black beans are my favorite beans in the whole world and I tried them just a few years ago thanks to the blog. It was love at first taste!
As I'm a huge soup lover, I knew I needed to give this one a try because it's made with black beans and other delicious and super healthy ingredients, and guys, it tastes like heaven.
You don't need to use the same ingredients, just what you have on hand. Feel free to add other veggies (like carrots, tomatoes, leeks, potatoes), spices (paprika, ground ginger, garlic and onion powder), dried herbs (marjoram, rosemary, thyme, parsley, basil) or even use other type of beans (canned or cooked from scratch).
This soup is packed with plant-based protein, so nutritious, easy to make, and SO GOOD! In addition, it only requires 1 pot, simple ingredients and is ready in just 30 minutes.
Add your favorite toppings before serving or just enjoy it by itself. I added some store-bought tortilla chips (take a look at my super healthy baked tortilla chips recipe), diced avocado and chopped cilantro.
I love my soup thick, so I always use an immersion blender (just do 3-4 quick pulses), but this is not necessary. If you only have a regular blender, just blend 1 cup of the soup (250 ml), and then transfer back into the pot
black bean soup ingredients
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this black bean soup recipe:
- Extra virgin olive oil - I’m Spanish, so I use extra virgin olive oil to cook most of my dishes. However, any type of oil is okay. I always use extra virgin oils when possible because they’re healthier. If you don’t eat oil, just use some water or vegetable stock instead.
- Garlic - Garlic powder is also a good choice.
- Onion - Feel free to use onion powder instead.
- Red bell pepper.
- Bay leaves - You can just omit this ingredient or use another herb instead if you want.
- Dried oregano - Any other dried herb will do, or even some Italian seasoning.
- Ground cumin.
- Salt - I always use Himalayan pink salt. Any type of salt is okay, though.
- Ground black pepper - Fresh ground black pepper tastes amazing. However, I find store-bought more convenient and also easier to measure with a teaspoon.
- Crushed red pepper flakes - Feel free to use cayenne powder, jalapeños, fresh chilies, or anything you want to make your soup spicy. This ingredient is optional, so you can omit it if you’re not into spicy food.
- Black beans - Canned black beans are so convenient, but you can cook them from scratch if you want. Any other type of beans is okay too.
- Vegetable stock or water - I love vegetable stock because it enhances the flavor of any dish. However, water is okay and I use it very often to reduce the amount of sodium in my recipes. Making your own vegetable stock at home is a good idea, but feel free to use store-bought if you want.
how to make black bean soup
- Sautée the veggies in a large pot with some extra virgin olive oil until golden brown. If you're oil-free, just use some water or vegetable stock.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the pot, stir, bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves and to thicken the soup, use an immersion blender and do 3-4 quick pulses. You could also blend 1 cup of the soup (250 ml) in a regular blender. This step is optional.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
looking for more black bean recipes?
did you make this black bean soup recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Black Bean Soup
- 1-2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, optional
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 15-ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- Heat the oil in a large pot, add the veggies (celery, garlic, onion and red bell pepper) and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. If you don't eat oil, just use some vegetable stock or water instead.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, stir and bring to a boil. Then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Once the soup is ready, remove and discard the bay leaves.
- To thicken the soup, use an immersion blender and do 3-4 quick pulses. You could also transfer 1 cup (250 ml) of the soup to a regular blender and blend, then transfer back into the pot. This step is totally optional.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings (I added tortilla chips, diced avocado and chopped cilantro) or keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- Nutritional info has been calculated by using 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and water. It doesn't include the toppings either.
Super easy and flavorful! I'm happy to find a recipe with few ingredients. I actually didn't have any celery so just skipped that and it still tasted very good :)!! I served it with chopped tomatoes, avocado and tortilla chips.
Iosune Robles says
Hi Nat! Sounds so good 🙂
This soup was so delicious!!! I have tried many other black bean soup recipes, this is the very best. It has the right amount of spices. It tastes great. Thank you! We had some corn bread with it! Yum!
Iosune Robles says
So glad you liked it Lili 🙂
trudi gauld says
Loved this soup.....I threw in a can of diced tomatoes and a fresh chili....delish!
Iosune Robles says
Hi! So glad you enjoyed it 🙂 Have a nice day!
Omg this was so good! But I only had chicken broth in freezer, used real beans And threw in some cut hot dogs/jalapeños lol, added more bean juice&beans because I wanted it watery and i loved it !!.
Jamie H. says
This recipe was so good! Quick, easy, and very flavorful. We had it for dinner one night with avocado on top and I ate the rest for lunch over the next couple of days. I will be making this again.
Hi Jamie! So glad you enjoyed it 🙂
Cindy Epstein says
I want your recipe for Vegan pasta carbonara, it looks delicious but no matter what I do...I can not find the recipe. I can see a few different pics but no recipe.🤓Thanks for your speedy answer, my vegan daughter is coming over for dinner on Saturday.
Hi Cindy! You're so welcome 🙂 This is the recipe: https://simpleveganblog.com/vegan-pasta-carbonara/ Hope you like it!
Sue Kimzey says
Loved this black bean soup recipe, so easy , quick and tasty! Love all your recipes I've tried, you are the best!!!!
Hi Sue! Thanks a lot 🙂 Have a beautiful day!