This vegan split pea soup is so tasty you'll want to have it every day. It's a simple recipe made with healthy and nutritious ingredients!
Vegan split pea soup, hearty, filling, and absolutely delicious. It is a super easy-to-make recipe that will warm you up on cold winter nights. The perfect comfort food!
Besides, this vegan soup is healthy and gluten-free, as well as made with simple and nutritious ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. If not, you'll easily find them at any grocery store. It is ready in just 3 steps!
How to make vegan split pea soup
- Add the oil to a large pot and when it’s hot, add the veggies. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Incorporate all the remaining ingredients (except the parsley), stir, and bring to a boil. Then cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve your vegan split pea soup immediately.
Vegan split pea soup ingredients and tips
- Extra virgin olive oil: I’m Spanish, so I use extra virgin olive oil to cook most of my dishes. However, any type of oil is okay. I always use extra virgin oils when possible because they’re healthier.
- Celery stalks.
- Dried green split peas.
- Bay leaves.
- Dried thyme: feel free to customize this recipe with any kind of dried herb.
- Salt: I used ionized salt, but any salt will do.
- Ground black pepper: fresh ground black pepper tastes amazing. However, I find the store-bought one to be more convenient and also easier to measure with a teaspoon.
- Vegetable stock or water: I prefer vegetable stock because it enhances the flavor of this vegan soup. However, water is okay too. Although making your own vegetable broth at home the best idea, you can also buy it at the grocery store.
- Fresh parsley: this ingredient is optional. You can also use other fresh herbs like cilantro or basil.
- Serve your soup with some vegan protein like baked tofu, tempeh bacon, or roasted chickpeas.
Looking for more vegan soup recipes?
Did you make this vegan split pea soup recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, or rate it. You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I’d love to see what you cook!
Vegan Split Pea Soup
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 pound dried green split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, optional, for garnish
- Add the oil to a large pot and when it’s hot, add the veggies (garlic, onion, celery, and carrot). Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until they start to golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Incorporate all the remaining ingredients (except the parsley), stir, and bring to a boil. Then cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves, pour it in a bowl, and serve your vegan split pea soup immediately with some fresh parsley on top (optional) or with some vegan protein like baked tofu, tempeh bacon, or roasted chickpeas.
- Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Feel free to customize your soup with any type of oil, salt, or dried or fresh herbs.
- To make this vegan soup I decided to use vegetable stock because it enhances the flavor of this dish. However, water is okay too.
- Although it is not necessary, you could blend your soup using an immersion blender.
- Feel free to add any veggies or spices you have on hand.
Hi, I ate protein powder for long years but I don't know how much protein need to consume now I am very clear about it veganway
Iosune Robles says
Hi SteveMatthew! For these questions, I recommend you contact a nutritionist to study your case 🙂