There are so many ways to replace eggs in vegan cooking, but my favorite choice for baking and making sweet recipes is flax egg because it has a consistency similar to a real egg and it doesn’t have much flavor unlike bananas or applesauce. Besides, it’s so easy to prepare. You just need to blend flax seeds and water until well combined or mix flaxseed meal with some water in a bowl and wait 5 minutes to thicken. It’s a pretty inexpensive, simple and healthy alternative and you can buy flax seeds at many supermarkets.
- You can use golden or brown flax seeds to make this recipe.
- I prefer to use whole flax seeds instead of flaxseed meal because pre-ground flaxseed has been exposed to oxygen longer and it causes polyunsaturated fats to break down.
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- Place the flax seeds and the water in a blender and blend until smooth.
- If the flax seeds and the water don’t blend properly in your blender, you can grind the flax seeds first (I just blend them in my blender until I get a powder) and then add the water and blend until well combined. You can also mix the flaxseed meal and the water in a bowl with a fork.
- Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Serving Size: 1 flax egg
- Calories: 55
- Sugar: 0.2 g
- Sodium: 4.9 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 1.9 g