One pot pasta, a super simple pasta recipe, that only requires one pot. Throw all the ingredients in a skillet and you have a delicious meal in minutes!
I love cooking and of course I LOVE eating, but I hate washing dishes, so this recipe is perfect for me, as it only requires one pot, that’s it! To make pasta you usually need one pot to cook the pasta and a skillet to cook the sauce, but not anymore!
Apparantely Martha Stewart was the first one to make this recipe, and you’ll find thousands of versions out there, but this one is my favorite one. You really need to give it a try.
Feel free to add other veggies, spices or herbs (fresh or dried). I haven’t tried this one pot pasta with no oil, but I think it should work. I would add some tahini or nut butter before serving, though, to get a creamier pasta.
You need a large skillet, frying pan or pot, big enough for your spaghetti (see picture). I’m in love with my cast iron skillets, so I used a 12-inch one (30 cm), but feel free to use what you have on hand.
If you haven’t a skillet or pot that is big enough, don’t worry, use what you normally use to cook spaghetti. You could also use macaroni or any other type of short pasta instead. I’ve never tried it myself, but I think it should work (you may need to add more or less water, though).
one pot pasta ingredients
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this one pot pasta recipe:
- Spaghetti – I used whole wheat spaghetti, but any other spaghetti will do. Use gluten-free pasta if needed. Depending on the type of pasta you’re using, you’ll need to cook it for a different amount of time. For example, regular wheat pasta is ready in just 10 minutes.
- Cherry tomatoes – Any other type of tomatoes will do.
- Fresh basil leaves – Feel free to use other fresh or dried herbs instead.
- Extra virgin olive oil – I’m Spanish, so I use extra virgin olive oil to cook most of my dishes. However, any type of oil is okay. I always use extra virgin oils when possible because they’re healthier.
- Salt – I always use Himalayan pink salt. Any type of salt is okay, though.
- Ground black pepper – Fresh ground black pepper tastes amazing. However, I find store-bought more convenient and also easier to measure with a teaspoon.
- Red pepper flakes – Feel free to use cayenne powder, fresh chilies, or anything you want to make your pasta spicy. This is an optional ingredient, so you can omit it if you’re not into spicy food.
- Water or vegetable stock – I prefer to use water, but vegetable stock is also a good choice.
how to make one pot pasta
- Add all the ingredients to a large skillet or frying pan. I used a 12-inch cast iron skillet (30 cm).
- Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked. Stir frequently.
- Serve immediately or keep leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 4 to 5 days.
looking for more pasta recipes?
did you make this one pot pasta recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 8 oz spaghetti (225 g), gluten-free if needed, I used whole wheat pasta
- 1 onion, julienned
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes (225 g), cut in halves
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1–2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 and 3/4 cups water or vegetable stock (700 ml)
- Combine all the ingredients in a large skillet or frying pan. I used a 12-inch cast iron skillet (30 cm). If the only thing you have on hand is a large pot, just use it, or anything you normally use to cook spaghetti.
- Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked, stirring frequently. If you use regular pasta, it will be ready in about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately or keep leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for about 4-5 days.
- Nutritional info has been calculated by using 1 tbsp of oil and water instead of vegetable stock.
- Recipe inspired by Martha Stewart.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 255
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 594 mg
- Fat: 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.6 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 9.5 g