Hot toddy, a cocktail made of bourbon, water, lemon juice and a sweetener of your choice. The perfect hot drink to warm you up on cold days.
I’ve been wanting to share a hot toddy recipe on the blog for a while, so this is my vegan version of this delicious hot beverage.
I have a hot drink every single day during the cold months, especially in winter, and although I don’t drink alcohol on a daily basis, I do sometimes (only once in a while).
Most of my recipes are healthy, and don’t worry, I’m not going to change this mindset, but it’s fun to do something different sometimes, and you guys have loved other alcoholic beverages I’ve posted.
Hot toddy is usually made with honey, but as I’m a vegan, maple syrup is my favorite alternative. However, feel free to use any sweetener you like or have on hand.
You don’t have to use the same ingredients, Bourbon can be replaced by other alcoholic drinks like other types of whisky, rum, brandy, or whatever you want.
It can also be made with brewed tea instead of water (I prefer this version, though), and some people add spices like cloves or ground cinnamon or ginger.
Hot toddy is delicious served with a slice of lemon and a cinnamon stick, but these are optional ingredients, so it’s up to you. It’s ready in less than 5 minutes, so please enjoy it hot and freshly made.
Apparently, it’s traditionally drunk before retiring for the night, or in cold weather. Some people believe this drink relieves the symptoms of the cold and flu, but I would enjoy it as a treat, as it’s made with bourbon, and alcohol should be consumed in moderation.
hot toddy ingredients
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this hot toddy recipe:
- Bourbon – Any other type of whisky will do, or even rum or brandy. If you want to make this drink alcohol-free, you could use 1 cup of brewed tea (any kind) instead of the bourbon and the boiling water.
- Lemon juice – I prefer to make my own lemon juice, but store-bought is also okay.
- Maple syrup – This recipe is usually made with honey, but I use maple syrup because I’m a vegan. Any other sweetener will do, though.
- Boiling water – Brewed tea is also a good choice. Any kind is okay.
- Cinnamon stick – This ingredient is optional, but it will make your hot toddy taste better.
- Lemon slice – Same as with the cinnamon stick.
how to make hot toddy
- You just need to mix the bourbon, lemon juice and maple syrup (or any other sweetener) in a cup until well combined.
- Then add the boiling water and stir again.
- Finally, serve immediately with the cinnamon stick and the slice of lemon.
looking for more drink recipes?
did you make this hot toddy recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 3-4 tbsp bourbon (45-60 ml)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup boiling water (200 ml)
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1 lemon slice (optional)
- Add the bourbon, lemon juice and maple syrup to a cup or jar, and stir until well combined.
- Add the boiling water and stir again.
- Serve immediately with a cinnamon stick and a lemon slice or just by itself.
- Nutritional info has been calculated by using 3 tbsp of bourbon.
- Serving Size: 1 cup approx
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 12.6 g
- Sodium: 9 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.4 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 0.1 g