Soups are a great way of nourishing our beautiful bodies and make us feel great. They're so easy to make, just place some seasonal veggies in a large pot, add some liquid, your favorite spices, cook, blend and you have a delicious meal in less than 30 minutes. Eating what's in season is good for your health, for the planet and they're more affordable as well, it's a win win!
I hated veggies when I was a child, especially veggie soups, but I love them now and make them all the time. I've learnt how to like them using just 3 simple tricks: using a powerful blender to get a good texture, adding lots of spices and herbs and using vegetable broth or some plant milk to make them taste even better. If you follow these 3 steps, you'll bring your soups to the next level. I always use my Vitamix blender and add spices to bring up the flavor, but I've been using water lately, the soup is also delicious, but is lighter.
You can enjoy this delicious soup just by itself, with a salad or some steamed veggies or with some legume and a starch for a complete meal. Sometimes I make big batches of soup and then freeze it, that way I can save some time on a daily basis.
- Use any squash or pumpkin you want.
- Add or remove any veggies, spices or ingredients you like.
- If you want to make your soup even tastier, add some vegetable broth or plant milk (coconut milk is awesome) instead of the water.
Easy Butternut Squash Soup
Soups are a great way of nourishing our beautiful bodies and make us feel great. I show you how to bring your soups to the next level on this post.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2-3 1x
- Category: Main dish
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
- ½ butternut squash (1.5 pounds or 650 g)
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 leek
- ½ onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups water (500 ml)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Peel and chop the veggies.
- Pour the water into a large pot, add the veggies and bring it to a boil. Then cook over medium-high heat for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
- Place the soup in a blender, add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- We added some sauteed carrots, chopped walnuts and sesame seeds on top.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it.
- Serving Size: ⅓ of the recipe
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 8.3 g
- Sodium: 837.4 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.4 g
- Fiber: 6.8 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
Keywords: easy butternut squash soup, how to make butternut squash soup, vegan squash soup