I haven’t tried sweet potatoes until a few years ago because they’re not very common in the north of Spain and I can’t live without them now. They’re perfect to make low-fat vegan desserts because you don’t need oil or margarine to make super chewy brownies!
Although I’m a savory person, I really love sweet things, especially if they’re made with chocolate or cocoa powder, but I prefer easy recipes that require healthy ingredients, it could sound challenging, but it’s not!
Here are the ingredients that you are going to need: sweet potatoes, almonds, oats, cocoa powder and coconut or cane sugar. If you want to use other ingredients, please read the tips we always share above the recipe box and don’t be afraid to change the recipes and make them using the things you’ve got at home. ?
- Other sweeteners are okay, but if you use some kind of syrup or molasses, maybe you’ll need to add more almonds or oats.
- If you can’t eat oats, use any other flour instead. If the batter is too dry, add some plant milk and if is too liquid, add more flour.
- We used almonds, but I suppose other type of nuts will work as well.
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (450 g)
- 1/2 cup raw almonds (75 g)
- 1/2 cup oats (60 g)
- 10 tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp coconut or cane sugar
- Peel the sweet potatoes, chop them and steam or boil them until soft (about 25 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 355ºF or 180ºC.
- When the sweet potatoes are cold, place the almonds in a food processor and blend them to make almond flour.
- Add the oats and blend again.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend one more time.
- Place the batter into a baking dish and bake for 25 or 30 minutes. We recommend you to put parchment paper onto the baking dish. Baking time may vary depending on the oven you’re using.
- Let the brownies cool for at least 10 minutes and cut them into squares.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!