You’re gonna love this vegan lentil curry, it’s a super easy and flavorful recipe. It’s my favorite lentil recipe, I eat it almost every week! If you love Indian cuisine as mush as I do, you need to try this awesome lentil curry!
I almost always eat lentils with rice, it’s a satisfying and nutritious meal, and also a great combination, so delicious! This recipe is diet-friendly, especially if you don’t add coconut milk.
I love coconut milk, it has fat, but if you include it occasionally in a healthy, balanced diet, it’s not a problem and you can make it at home, it’s so easy, you only need water and coconut (fresh or shredded). Anyway, if you don’t like coconut milk or if you prefer a lighter version you can use water or other kind of plant milk.
The rest of the ingredients are very light and nutritious. It’s a flavorful recipe because we’ve added many spices. You can use other spices or remove any.
Garam masala is a mixture of spices common in Indian cuisine. If you can’t find it you can make it at home or use the spices you have. The composition of garam masala differs regionally. The components of the mix are toasted, then ground together. A typical Indian version of garam masala contains: turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, cumin seeds and cardamom pods, but you can also add other spices such as garlic powder, ginger, sesame seeds, mustard seeds, coriander, nutmeg, fennel or cayenne powder.
I eat legumes at least 3 or 4 times a week and I’m always trying new recipes. This vegan lentil curry is absolutely amazing, it’s a simple and easy recipe, but it takes time, although it’s totally worth it. It’s also exotic, spicy, tasty, creamy and it has an intense coconut flavor. If you like curry, lentils and coconut, you need to try this recipe!
- 1 cup lentils (220 grams)
- 1 cup basmati rice (200 grams)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces tomato sauce (450 grams)
- ⅔ cup coconut milk (150 grams)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons curry
- Cook lentils according to package directions. We cooked them for 40 minutes over medium high heat. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and the onion (finely chopped) and cook them until golden brown. Add the tomato sauce, coconut milk and spices and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add cooked lentils, stir and cook for at least 15 or 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Cook basmati rice according to package directions. We cooked them for 12 minutes over medium high heat. Drain and set aside.
- Serve the lentils over the basmati rice. You can add cilantro on top.