I wasn’t used to eat hot things when I was a child, my mother only used some Spanish dried chillies once in a while, so I didn’t like spicy food. Since a few years ago, I’ve been trying to get used to spicy recipes and also to incorporate more spices into my diet because I want to travel around the world and I really enjoy local food. When I go to an Indian or Mexican restaurant, sometimes I think I’m going to die, for example, Alberto and I went to Frankfurt when we were living in Germany and we ate at a traditional vegetarian Indian restaurant. Although the food was delicious at the beginning, it was so spicy for us and we couldn’t feel our tongues at the end of the dinner!
Dips and spreads are perfect to enjoy as a snack, to make delicious sandwiches in a minute or as starters of a main meal. We love them so much and they’re very popular on the blog, so here it is a new recipe we’ve been making very often lately. Muhammara is a Syrian red pepper and walnut dip and is out of this world, besides, it’s ready in less than 5 minutes and you can eat it with some pita bread, any other bread you like, crudités or even tortilla chips.
I hardly ever make a recipe as the traditional one, I like to change it and use the ingredients I love or I’ve got handy, but that’s one of the best things about home cooking, you can do what you want and make delicious recipes you love. Some people get upset when I (or anyone else) change a recipe, but it’s not a big deal, I think these people just need to breath deeply and enjoy life.
- Roast your walnuts in the oven or in a skillet without oil if you want a more intense flavor. We never do this because the recipe is delicious with regular walnuts and we prefer to save some time.
- Feel free to use any dried chile peppers you want. Maybe you want to add more or less.
- The rolled oats are optional, we use it to thicken the dip. The traditional recipe is made with bread, but we prefer to use oats because they’re super healthy.
- Tomato paste is optional, although it will make your dip taste better.
- If you avoid oil, remove this ingredient and add more lemon juice, water or even tahini or any other nut butter.
Muhammara (Red Pepper and Walnut Dip)
Muhammara is a spicy Syrian red pepper and walnut dip. It’s so tasty and is ready in less than 5 minutes, you just need to blend all the ingredients!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 2-4
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers (180 g)
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts (70 g)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/4 cup rolled oats (30 g)
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- The juice of half a lemon
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. You can also use a blender, but don’t over blend.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!