Vegan red beans and rice, made in just 25 minutes, using simple ingredients. This plant-based version is healthier, so nutritious and extremely delicious.
I didn't know this recipe until I saw it on Pinterest and it was love at first sight. Beans + rice = epic vegan recipe, because rice is one of my favorite foods and beans are a great source of plant-based protein and are also delicious.
For those or you who doesn't know red beans and rice, it's an emblematic dish of Louisiana Creole cuisine, traditionally made with red or kidney beans, veggies, spices and pork, cooked together slowly in a pot and served over rice.
We've omitted the pork and haven't used any meat alternative instead because it's also delicious just using veggies, spices and beans, but feel free to add vegan sausages, tempeh, tofu or whatever you have on hand.
The authentic recipe is made with dried beans, but we find more convenient using canned red or kidney beans. Besides, this way the recipe is made in just 25 minutes!
looking for more bean recipes?
- Simple vegan jambalaya
- Pasta e fagioli (pasta and beans)
- Vegan refried beans
- Vegan baked beans
- Black bean burgers
did you make this vegan red beans and rice recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Vegan Red Beans and Rice
- ½ cup rice, uncooked, we used short grain white rice
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dash of salt
- Dash of cayenne flakes, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 and ¼ cups canned red beans, or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat some oil in a large pot, add the veggies (garlic, onion and green bell pepper) and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the spices and herbs (thyme, paprika, pepper, salt, cayenne and bay leaf).
- Finally, add the beans and vegetable stock or water, stir and cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. To make the stew thicker, I usually mash some beans using an , but feel free to use a fork or a potato masher or just omit this step.
- Serve the beans with the rice immediately. We added some chopped fresh parsley on top, but it's up to you. Feel free to add some hot sauce as well.
- Keep leftovers in a sealed container for 4-5 days in the fridge.
- This recipe is usually made with celery, but I'm not a huge celery fan, so I prefer my red beans and rice this way. Feel free to add 1-2 celery sticks if you like it.
- The classic red beans and rice recipe is made with meat. Feel free to use vegan sausages or any other meat alternative if you want.
- Nutritional info is not accurate. The amount of sodium is lower if you drain and rinse well the beans.