This delicious and creamy vegan cream cheese is made with just 2 ingredients! It’s so inexpensive and much healthier than store-bought.
Cheese is the reason many people don’t go 100% plant-based and one of the food vegans miss the most. However, making vegan cheese at home is really easy, like this amazing vegan cream cheese.
It’s extremely easy to prepare and only requires 2 ingredients you can get at any supermarket: dairy-free yogurt and salt, that’s all!
You can make it in about 5 minutes, although you have to keep it in the fridge for at least 8 hours before eating it. However, I promise you it’s worth the wait.
This recipe is super simple, but please feel free to add any ingredients you love to give it a little bit more flavor. You could incorporate nuts, seeds, chives, spices, herbs, olives, sun-dried tomatoes…
In addition, this truly is the best vegan cream cheese, because it is so healthy, unless other kinds of store-bought cheese, which are made with ingredients like preservatives or refined oils. Although some people also incorporate xanthan gum, I decided not to.
It’s also super inexpensive and tastes so good you won’t miss the real thing. It’s also better for your health, the animals, and the planet and if you use homemade yogurt, you can even make a plastic-free version of this recipe, yay!
How to make vegan cream cheese – Step by step
- Secure the napkin into the jar with the elastic band (photo 1).
- Dump the soy yogurt in the napkin (photo 2) and allow it to drip. Let the yogurt chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or until you get the consistency you’re looking for.
- When it’s ready, transfer the yogurt to a bowl, add the salt (photo 3), and stir until well combined (photo 4).
- Although I used soy yogurt, feel free to use any unsweetened non-dairy yogurt for this vegan cream cheese recipe. Homemade and store-bought are both okay. You could try to make it with coconut yogurt.
- Depending on the consistency of your yogurt you may need to keep it in the fridge for a shorter or a longer period of time. It depends on how thick your yogurt is. For example, coconut yogurt is usually thicker than soy yogurt.
- Try the vegan cream cheese and add more salt if needed.
- Add any extra ingredients you want, like garlic or onion powder, spices, or herbs like dried dill.
- The original recipe was made by adding also 1/2 tsp onion powder and 1/2 tsp dried dill, but I’ve made a simpler version this time.
Is cream cheese vegan?
No, regular cream cheese is not vegan, as it is made with dairy, just like any other kind of cheese.
What is vegan cream cheese?
Vegan cream cheese is a dairy-free alternative to regular cream cheese. It is super easy to make as well as cholesterol-free!
Does vegan cream cheese taste the same?
This vegan cream cheese recipe tastes very similar to the real thing and also has the same texture.
However, keep in mind that it is made with only 2 simple ingredients and that if you want it to be more flavorful, you should customize it with your favorite spices. However, I love it as it is!
Looking for more vegan cheese recipes?
Did you make this vegan cream cheese recipe?
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy yogurt (500 g), I used soy yogurt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- You want to drain the excess liquid from the yogurt and get a creamy and thick texture. To do this, all you need is a nut milk bag, a jar or a cylindrical container, and an elastic band.
- Secure the nut milk bag into the jar with the elastic band, dump the soy yogurt in the bag, and allow it to drip.
- Let the yogurt chill in the fridge for at least 8 hours or until you get the consistency you’re looking for. If you want your cream cheese really dense and thick, you may need 12-24 hours. Just keep checking the consistency until it’s okay for you.
- When it’s ready, transfer the yogurt to a bowl, add the salt, and stir until well combined.
- Use your vegan cream cheese immediately and enjoy it as a savory breakfast over some bagels, vegan bread, or toasted gluten-free bread along with some sauteed mushrooms and chives.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-7 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Keep in mind that if you freeze it, its texture will change. However, you will still be able to use it in cooked or baked goods.
- If you don’t have a nut milk bag, you could also use a napkin, a butter muslin, or a piece of cloth. However, I don’t think a cheesecloth is the best tool, as you will need a more dense fabric to get optimal results.
- Feel free to use any unsweetened non-dairy yogurt for this vegan cream cheese recipe. Homemade and store-bought are both okay. You could try to make it with coconut yogurt.
- Depending on the consistency of your yogurt, you may need to keep it in the fridge for a shorter or longer period of time. It depends on how thick it is. For example, coconut yogurt is usually thicker than soy yogurt.
- Try the cream cheese and add more salt if needed.
- To easily customize this non-dairy cream cheese, feel free to incorporate any ingredients to give it a little bit more flavor. You could use seeds, chives, spices, herbs, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, or sea salt to taste.
- You could even use nuts like peanuts, almonds, or raw cashews. There are so many options!
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 16
- Sugar: 0.3 g
- Sodium: 77 mg
- Fat: 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.9 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 1.3 g
Update Notes: This post was originally published in January of 2017, but was republished with new photos, step-by-step instructions, and tips in January of 2022.