Learn how to make the best margarita from scratch. It’s a cocktail consisting of silver tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice.
Cinco de Mayo is coming, so I’m going to be sharing delicious Mexican recipes these days, yay! Margarita is one of the most popular Mexican cocktails and this is my recipe.
Although I don’t drink alcohol on a daily basis, I do sometimes and all the alcoholic beverages I’ve posted on the blog are really popular, so here you have another one.
It’s an extremely simple recipe, that only requires 3 ingredients: silver tequila, Cointreau and lime juice. Serve it with some ice cubes or crushed ice and voilà!
There are also 3 optional ingredients I always use to make a margarita: maple syrup (to make it taste even better), salt (margarita is often served with salt on the rim of the glass), and lime slices or wedges for garnish.
If you don’t have limes on hand, please feel free to use lemons instead. I prefer to make my margaritas using limes, though. In addition, any liquid sweetener can be used instead of the maple syrup (agave syrup is also a wonderful choice).
Although it’s great to have a cocktail shaker to make cocktails, you don’t need one. I always use a glass jar instead, as I don’t prepare cocktails very often, and it works really well.
Margaritas are usually served in a variety of glasses, most notably the margarita glass, a variant of the classic champagne coupe. However, I use what I have on hand.
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this margarita recipe:
- Silver tequila – Any type of tequila will do, but margarita is usually made with silver tequila.
- Cointreau – You can also use other orange-flavored liqueurs, other brands of triple sec, or blue curaçao.
- Lime juice – Lemon juice is also a good choice. However, I prefer to use lime juice.
- Maple syrup – This ingredient is optional, but your margarita will taste amazing if you add it. Any other liquid sweetener will do, though.
- Ice cubes – Crushed ice is also okay.
- Salt – Use any kind of salt you have on hand. Margarita is often served with salt on the rim of the glass, but it’s not necessary.
- Lime slices – They’re for garnish, so omit them if you want.
how to make a margarita
- Place salt on a small plate. Run a lime slice or wedge around the top rim of a glass. Dip in salt to coat the rim.
- Combine tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, and maple syrup in a cocktail shaker, and shake until well combined. I used a glass jar, though.
- Fill the glass with some ice cubes and pour in the margarita mixture. Serve immediately and garnish with extra lime slices (optional).
looking for more drink recipes?
did you make this margarita recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 2 oz silver tequila (60 ml)
- 1 oz Cointreau (30 ml)
- 1 oz lime juice (30 ml)
- 1/2 oz maple syrup (15 ml), optional
- Ice cubes
- Salt and lime slices or wedges, optional
- Place some salt on a small plate. Run a lime slice or wedge around the top rim of a glass, then dip in salt to coat the rim.
- Combine silver tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, and maple syrup in a cocktail shaker, and shake or stir until well combined. As I don’t have a shaker, I used a glass jar.
- Fill the glass with ice and pour in the margarita mixture. Serve immediately and garnish with extra lime slices if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 4.5 g
- Sodium: 1 mg
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 0.1 g