You only need 7 ingredients to make this simple vegan fried rice and it’s ready in 15 or 20 minutes. I make this recipe very often and sometimes I add other veggies, depending what’s in season.
Here in Spain you can eat this dish at Chinese restaurants and is made with rice, peas, carrots, scramble eggs and ham. Some restaurants also add chicken or shrimp. I use peas, carrots and tofu and I don’t use any substitute for the ham, but you can add sun dried tomatoes or any vegan meat.
I know some people avoid soy because they think it’s not a healthy food. I only eat soy products (like soy sauce, tofu or miso) about twice a week, but I use them to make some Simple Vegan Blog recipes because they’re are great to replace animal food.
I use extra virgin olive oil to fry the rice and the veggies, but other kinds of oil work too. If you’re searching for a fat-free version, boil or steam the vegetables and don’t fry the rice. Add some soy sauce or tamari to make the rice tastier.
Tofu is great to make vegan scramble eggs and it’s a super easy recipe. You just have to use a fork to crumble tofu into bite-sized pieces and cook it for about 5 minutes with a little bit of oil, salt, pepper, herbs or spices. I use turmeric powder to make the tofu looks like real eggs.
The recipe tastes amazing just like this, but I usually add soy or tamari sauce. Sweet and sour sauce and other Asian sauces work also great.
This meal is ideal if you don’t want to spend much time in the kitchen. It’s also the perfect dinner: simple and tasty. Don’t be afraid to eat carbs at night, Asians eat carbs all day long and they’re so lean and healthy.
If you make this simple vegan fried rice recipe, please leave a comment or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram or any other social network. We love to see your pictures and comments, it makes us very happy!
Simple Vegan Fried Rice
You only need 7 ingredients to make this simple vegan fried rice and it’s ready in 15 or 20 minutes. Sometimes I add other veggies.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2
- Category: Rice
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free, Chinese
- ¼ cup Basmati rice (150 g)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup frozen peas (35 g)
- 2.7 oz firm tofu (75 g)
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- Sea salt (optional)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- Cook the rice according to package directions. I recommend you to cook it the day before.
- Heat oil in a wok or skillet and sauté the chopped carrot over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the peas and cook for another 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Use a fork to crumble the tofu into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook the tofu in the wok/skillet with a little bit of oil for about 5 minutes. Add the turmeric powder and some salt (optional) and stir. Set aside.
- Add more oil and cook the rice for 2 minutes, add the veggies, tofu and tamari or soy sauce and cook for 3 minutes more.