Garlic bread, a delicious Italian appetizer that only requires 6 ingredients and is ready in 30 minutes. This version is healthier, but extremely tasty.
Garlic bread has always been my favorite Italian appetizer. Some recipes include dairy products like butter or cheese, but it's so delicious with extra virgin olive oil, which by the way is the fat we use the most here in the Mediterranean countries, including Italy.
I think this recipe is just perfect, but feel free to add more or less garlic, parsley, salt or ground black pepper, depending on your taste.
You can also add more or less oil, but if you use too much oil, your garlic bread will be too oily, and if you don't use enough oil, it will be dry and not so tasty.
If you're oil-free, just try my oil-free garlic bread, it's made with tahini and water instead of oil and it's also so good. I couldn't tell you which one I like the most.
This is a basic recipe, so you can add other ingredients to make your own creations, like other fresh herbs, spices, red pepper flakes, sun-dried tomatoes, or anything you want!
Although this garlic bread is delicious just by itself, feel free to add some vegan Parmesan cheese on top just before serving, it's extremely delicious and ready in just 5 minutes!
garlic bread ingredients
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this garlic bread recipe:
- Garlic - Fresh garlic is ideal for this recipe. I've never made it with garlic powder, but I think it's not going to work.
- Extra virgin olive oil - It's the best oil to make garlic bread.
- Parsley - Fresh basil is also a good choice.
- Salt – I always use Himalayan pink salt. Any type of salt is okay, though.
- Ground black pepper – Fresh ground black pepper tastes amazing. However, I find store-bought more convenient and also easier to measure with a teaspoon.
- Bread - Italian/Frech bread is the best to make this recipe, but any other type is also okay. I used a 1 pound loaf of Italian bread (450 g), but you can also use several smaller loaves if it's what you have on hand. I've never tried this recipe using a gluten-free bread, but I think it should work, however, the baking time may vary. Have you tried my gluten-free bread recipe? It's so simple and out of this world.
how to make garlic bread
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Add the garlic, extra virgin olive oil, parsley, salt and pepper to a food processor or a blender and blend until smooth.
- Cut the bread in half, horizontally, and then spread the mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut the bread and serve immediately. Keep leftovers covered in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
looking for more appetizer recipes?
did you make this garlic bread recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, 125 ml
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1-pound loaf of Italian or French bread, see notes
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Add the garlic, oil, parsley, salt and pepper to a food processor or a blender and blend until smooth. I prefer a chunky texture, so I use a food processor, but it's up to you.
- Cut the bread in half, horizontally, and spread the mixture on both sides of the bread.
- Place the bread onto a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut the bread and serve immediately. Keep leftovers covered in the fridge for 4-5 days. Best when fresh, you can reheat it or enjoy it cold.
- Any other type of bread will do.
Thanks for this! I'm not a vegan but I've been trying to eat healthier meals. I think if vegan options are more accessible then more people will be open to it!
Hi Ish! You're so welcome 🙂