Sometimes we buy packaged food for convenience, and sometimes we believe that prepare them ourselves have to be difficult and expensive. This homemade soy yogurt is a clear example of how easy it can be to prepare food at home and in addition, we can save money.
To make homemade soy yogurt you’re gonna need only two ingredients: soy milk and a starter (you can use store-bought or previously homemade soy yogurt or a yogurt starter powder). So simple and cheap.
I used to buy organic soy yogurt and it was quite expensive, but now I only need homemade soy milk and a homemade yogurt. That’s all!
You only need to buy a store-bought yogurt or a yogurt starter powder for the first time, then you can use your own homemade soy yogurt as a starter.
You can also make homemade yogurt with others plant milks, we also make yogurt with coconut milk and a yogurt starter powder (we couldn’t find coconut yogurt), it’s really creamy, sweet and delicious.
We’ve used homemade soy milk, it’s so cheap and easy to make, and it tastes so much better than store-bought, you should try! We’ll share the recipe soon. Use not transgenic or genetically modified soy milk and with no additives, preservatives or sugar, you can add healthy sweeteners such as dates, stevia, coconut sugar, maple or agave syrup, etc.
We’ve used a teaspoon of agar agar powder for a thicker yogurt, but you can use other thickeners such as tapioca flour, carrageenan, corn starch or corn flour, xanthan gum, flax seed, etc. You can add more or less thickener, it depends on the consistency you want.
I have good news for you, you don’t need any equipment, if you have an oven, you can make homemade yogurt! You only need to preheat the oven at 50 º C or 120 º F for a few minutes, turn off the oven and place the yogurt inside for about 8 hours.
You can add fruits, seeds and nuts to your yogurt, so it will be even healthier and more nutritious. This time we’ve added nuts, sesame seeds and goji berries, we love them!
We recommend you to make homemade soy yogurt, it’s cheap and easy, and also it’s healthy, creamy and it tastes amazing! If you don’t like the soy flavor you can make homemade yogurt too, you only need your favorite plant milk and a yogurt starter powder and you’ll make the best yogurt you can imagine. Seriously, it’s awesome!
- 4 cups soy milk (1 liter)
- 1 teaspoon agar agar powder
- ½ cup soy yogurt (125 grams) or yogurt starter powder (the amount may vary, follow the package instructions)
- Preheat the oven at 50º C or 120º F.
- Pour the soy milk in a saucepan, add the agar agar, stir and heat the mixture to 90º C or 195º F, but be careful because it shouldn't boil. You can use a thermometer, but it's not necessary.
- Pour the mixture in a bowl and let it cool to 40 or 50ºC (105º F or 120º F). If you don't have a thermometer you can put your finger in the mixture and when it's hot but not burn it's ready.
- Add the starter (soy yogurt or yogurt starter powder), stir and pour the mixture into glass jars or containers.
- Turn off the oven, place the glass jars or containers (without lids) inside and let stand for at least 8 hours. You mustn't open the oven during this process.
- Now you can cover the jars or containers and keep the yogurt in the fridge.