I've always made hummus with chickpeas, but the other day I used cannellini beans instead and wow! It's less thick, but SO GOOD! ? I'm so obsessed with pumpkin right now, so I also add a pair of cups of chopped raw pumpkin too.
There are a thousand different ways you can eat hummus: as a side, a salad dressing, a sandwich spread, in pizzas or even you just add some to your favorite pasta or rice recipes to make them creamier.
Here in Spain is almost impossible to find a healthy store-bought hummus made with natural ingredients (they're full of white sugar and refined oils), so I make homemade hummus every week, I love it! I used to soak legumes overnight and cook them in boiling water until they were soft, but now I also use canned legumes, sometimes, because I found a few brands that only use water, legumes and salt, no additives, no preservatives, yay! I just want to eat real plant-based food, nothing else! ?
- Canned pumpkin and pumpkin purée also works really well, if you used them the hummus will have a better texture, although I prefer raw pumpkin because it has all the nutrients, as it's uncooked or unprocessed.
- If you don't like pumpkin, feel free to remove it or add another veggie.
- You can also use chickpeas or other legumes instead of the cannellini beans.
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
White Bean Pumpkin Hummus
I've always made hummus with chickpeas, but the other day I used cannellini beans instead and also added pumpkin. It's less thick, but SO GOOD!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Vegan, Middle Eastern
- 2 cups chopped raw pumpkin (230 g)
- 15 oz cooked or canned cannellini beans (425 g)
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- The juice of 2 lemons
- Sea salt to taste (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- I garnished the hummus with some pine nuts and chopped fresh cilantro.
Keywords: white bean pumpkin hummus, bean hummus, pumpkin hummus
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!