- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 oz dry pasta (225 g), I used whole wheat penne
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes or tomato puree (800 g)
- 1 and ½ cups vegetable stock (360 ml)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning or dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese (110 g), optional
- Add the oil to a large pot and when it’s hot, add the garlic and onion. Cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Incorporate the zucchini and the red bell pepper, stir, and cook until the veggies start to golden brown.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, stir, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, partially covered.
- Remove the lid and cook for 3 to 4 more minutes, stirring frequently, until the pasta is almost cooked through and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir through the vegan cheese (optional) and cook for 1 minute until the cheese is melted and the pasta is fully cooked.
- Serve your vegetable pasta immediately with seitan, tempeh, or even add some chopped tempeh bacon. You could also serve it with air fryer tofu, baked tofu, or fried tofu.
- Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Use any type of oil you have on hand.
- Feel free to customize your vegetable pasta with any veggies you want.
- Any type of pasta will do but check the ingredients to make sure it’s vegan.
- You can use water instead of vegetable stock, but this vegan pasta recipe will taste better if you use vegetable stock.
- Omit the red pepper flakes or adjust the amount of them if you’re not into spicy food.
- The vegan shredded cheese is optional. You could also sprinkle some of our vegan Parmesan cheese on top of your vegetable pasta right before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 438
- Sugar: 13.4 g
- Sodium: 1193 mg
- Fat: 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 71.2 g
- Fiber: 11.6 g
- Protein: 13.6 g