- Preheat the oven to 350ºF or 180ºC and line a standard muffin holder with 12 paper liners.
- Add the vegan butter and sugar to an electric mixer bowl and beat until light and fluffy. You could also use a regular large bowl and a hand mixer.
- Add the vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar and beat once more.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix on low until well combined, but don’t overmix.
- Slowly add the plant milk and mix everything until well combined. There may be a few small lumps, but you don’t want any large lumps in the batter.
- Fill the liners 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. The cupcakes will only have a very, very slight golden brown color.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool completely on a cooling rack.
- In the meantime, you can make the vegan buttercream frosting. Use it to frost the vegan vanilla cupcakes.
- Serve immediately with a warm glass of rice milk, oat milk, or almond milk.
- Keep the leftover cupcakes covered in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- You could also use oil instead of vegan butter. My favorite choice is melted coconut oil.
- Make sure the sugar you’re using is vegan.
- You could substitute apple cider vinegar with some lemon juice.
- I’ve never made this recipe using another type of flour myself, but it would probably work. However, keep in mind that you’ll probably need to add more or less plant milk (I used soy milk).
- Salt is optional, but it enhances the flavor of the vegan cupcakes.
- Prep time doesn’t include the time you need to prepare the frosting.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 17.4 g
- Sodium: 138 mg
- Fat: 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.6 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 1.9 g