- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 2 15-ounce can of black beans (850 g), drained and rinsed, see notes
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2–1/4 tsp salt (optional), see notes
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 small corn or flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (70 g), canned or cooked
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2–4 tbsp red onion, chopped
- Lime juice to taste (optional)
- 1 batch of vegan sour cream (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a skillet, add the beans and the spices (cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes), stir and cook over medium-high heat for about 3-5 minutes or until the beans are hot, stirring occasionally. Set aside. If you don’t want to use oil, just add some water or vegetable stock.
- Heat the tortillas according to package directions. I usually heat them in a skillet until they’re hot.
- To assemble the tacos, just grab a tortilla and add some black beans first, then the corn kernels, avocado cubes, chopped onion, some lemon juice to taste, vegan sour cream and finally, some fresh cilantro. Repeat this process with all the remaining tortillas.
- Best when fresh, you can keep all the ingredients in the fridge separately. The black bean mixture lasts 4-5 days in the fridge if you keep it in an airtight container.
- Use 3 cups or 500 g of canned black beans if you don’t want to cook them.
- I like to cook beans from scratch in my Instant Pot, but you can use a regular pot. Any other kind of bean will work too.
- Add more or less salt depending on how you like your vegan tacos. You can omit it if you want.
- If you don’t like sour cream, you can mash the avocado with a fork or use some guacamole instead.
- Feel free to sauté the onion a little bit if you don’t like it raw, or use onion powder as an alternative.
- Herbs like parsley or even lettuce are good options to substitute cilantro.
- Make your tacos as spicy as you want!
- Nutritional info has been calculated by using 1/4 tsp of salt and unsalted cooked black beans. It doesn’t include the vegan sour cream.
- Serving Size: 1 taco of 6
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 504 mg
- Fat: 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.1 g
- Fiber: 11.5 g
- Protein: 12.8 g